Video upload fails / app closes

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
Raaert
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Video upload fails / app closes

Postby Raaert » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi,

Ive tested this quite a bit now.

I've got an iPhone 4S, for which i want to upload the videos i shoot directly to Tonido.
My 4S shoots 1080p, and this makes for about 2,6 MB/s.

The mobile iOS application uploads videos of up to 1,5 minutes just fine (~240 MB), but a 2 minute video (bout 320 MB), the application either closes without warning or notification, or it starts the upload and somewhere during the process closes.

Can you investigate this matter further? Or have you already fixed this issue with the upcoming iOS application release?

Thanks in advance.

marioscube
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Re: Video upload fails / app closes

Postby marioscube » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Do you use 3G or WiFi?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:42 am

The new iOS app is completely rewritten and so far we have been able to upload large files ok. It should be out shortly.

johndoe132
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby johndoe132 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:14 am

Hi,

Im seeing a similar issue on version 4.0 of the iphone app (running iOS 5.1.1). My Tonido server is running on a headless Ubuntu 12.04 box.

Whenever I try to upload multiple photos from the iphone the app hangs then crashes without uploading anything. This was the same with the previous version of the app - I was hoping v4 would fix this and keep the wife from grumbling!

Also, is there a way to default the login to a particulaer server when starting the app? I don't need to see teh screen which lists the servers and 'This Device' as I on;y ever use the same server.

Thanks.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am

How many videos are you trying to upload? are you seeing failure for even one video update ?
I have successfully updated upto 600 meg of video files at one go. We might have to get some log from your TOnido if even a single video upload fails.

Regarding auto login, we will add it to our list to auto login the last logged in server. but I cant promise it will get into 4.0.1 release. It might be 4.1 candidate.

Raaert
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby Raaert » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:34 pm

The new application handles bigger files alot better now, no crashes.. But!

When uploading a video in the old app, it kept the screen on, and the upload going.. in this new version, the screen will turn off, and the upload will stop, forcing the app to begin the next upload when the screen is turned on - essentially leaving me with a lot of half-uploaded files.

johndoe132
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby johndoe132 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Ok so I managed to upload a 200mb video to the server so long as I did not let the iPhone auto lock; this resulted in a half uploaded file as Raaert noted.

The main issue is with multiple photos (though I've not tried multiple videos). Anything more than 5 or 6 at a time crashes the app.

Good news on the auto login, this would be a nice feature :-)

Thanks.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Aah. Good catch. We had disabled screen lock when uploads were in progress in old app but did not do that in this version.

Added to the list of fixes for 4.0.1
Thanks

Raaert
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby Raaert » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks rydgaze,

Much appreciated, cos this is by far the easiest method i've found for getting videos off my phone.

johndoe132
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby johndoe132 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 am

I tried uploading some more photos from the iOS app again today and think I have narrowed the issue down to anything over 6 images (taken on 4gs camera). There are intermittent crashes with less than this, but the app always crashes on me with 7 or more. Is there any kind of logging I can switch on to help track the issue down?

Also, a couple of feature requests; would it be possible to display the picture gallery on the phone in reverse order? With several hundred photos on the camera roll its frustrating to have to keep scrolling to the bottom to upload the most recent shots.

Second one is about renaming files on the server. We have several iOS devices (and soon to be some android) used to take pictures and upload, which means duplicate file names can occur. It would be great if the server could be set up with a naming convention (ideally using the date and time the photo was taken) so everything is unique and the shots could appear easily in date order regardless of which device they were taken and uploaded with.

Wish I could help with the project but I'm a PHP dev so probably not much use! Keep up the good work :-)

Thanks.

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”