[Resolved]: Tonido Media Streaming (uShare) issues with PS3.

Support for your TonidoPlug
dhanrale
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

[Resolved]: Tonido Media Streaming (uShare) issues with PS3.

Postby dhanrale » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Hello,

Apologies in advance - if this topic has been beaten to death in the previous posts...

I've a Wireless b/g/n router with an excellent throughput. I've enabled UPnP/Xbox 360 setting for my movies folder on the USB Drive, Every so often after 20-30 minutes my PS3 stops streaming the Video (Standard def or ~480P movie not even a fancy 720/1080) , It hangs for 5-10 seconds and then resumes . Sometimes the streaming stops all together and DLNA error 500/501 is displayed. This behavior is extremly annoying since you have to restart the movie from beginning.

Note : I've not enabled DLNA settings for the Media Server on TonidoPlug since the parsing takes a while.

I've verified that there are no active downloads going on during this issue and my entire bandwidth is allocated for streaming. If I map a drive via my MacBook to the Share via CIFS and play the movie - it works fine.

I've read in the previous posts that running UShare in daemon mode does not make any difference, Wondering if there are any debug logs that can be collected from the plug for troubleshooting this issue.

Any suggestions/work-around for this issue ?

Regards,
SD

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Tonido Media Streaming (uShare) issues with PS3.

Postby Tuxedo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:03 am

Hey,
This looks like a wireless throughput issue. Even if you hadn't mentioned wireless that would have been my first question. Do make sure this is not the issue, can you connect your ps3 to the network backbone with eth cable and try.

dhanrale
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby dhanrale » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Unfortunately the PS3 sits no where close to an ETH jack in the house, running a long ethernet cable through 2 rooms is not likely an option as of now. Having said that - Do you think we can collect any debugs to find out as to why this may be an issue ? I have read few posts regarding the same - I'm sure I'm not the first one experiencing the problem.

SD

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:44 am

Most problems we have seen are related to PS3 not identifying the media itself, not connection drop issues. If the connection gets dropped while playing a media, server will log as client dropped the connection. You can try to isolate the problem by installing the free media center software (XMBC) on a PC with wired connection. After installation, you can connect to the plug and see if plays the media completely.

Also another thing to try is to update the PS3 firmware to the latest level.

dhanrale
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby dhanrale » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I changed my router from Trendnet TEW-632BRP to Cisco Linksys E3000 and the issue has completely disappeared.

Please mark this post as answered. :D

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Awesome. Good to know

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”