Very Slow Throughput Over Relay

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
jefflaw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Very Slow Throughput Over Relay

Postby jefflaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 pm

In the last few weeks, I have noticed that both the web app and the iOS app to access my Tonido Server loads incredibly slowly. As a test, I disabled relay and noted that the web app then loads screaming fast. This can only mean the the Tonido Relay Server is somehow slowing things down a lot. Have others noticed this?

I would be fine bypassing Relay were it not for the fact that Tonido deprecated support for SSL using a self-signed cert (AFAIK). So bypassing Relay is not really a viable option (other than as a test).

Anyone else running into the same roadblocks? Can Tonido comment if you are experiencing a bandwidth bottleneck recently on your Relay Servers?

Sreeja
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Very Slow Throughput Over Relay

Postby Sreeja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:27 am

Hello,

Please check if any other applications consumes more CPU memory. If so, disable the application and try the relay

jefflaw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby jefflaw » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

This is a PC dedicated to running Tonido and no other apps. So there are no other apps that could be taking significant CPU.

However, just to be sure, I monitored CPU in Task Manager while downloading a PDF over Relay in a painstakingly slow way.

CPU was never more than 0 or 1%

This is clearly a bandwidth issue...not a CPU issue.

I really wish it were still possible to bypass Relay and still be able to encrypt the communication.

Are you not seeing any significant bandwidth slowdown when routing through your Relay servers?

jefflaw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby jefflaw » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Perhaps related to this is another issue. Even though I have "Enable WAN to LAN Re-direct" enabled, no such redirect occurs when I browse to http://myid.tonidoid.com from a PC on the same LAN as the Tonido server.

I have confirmed the port is open, and I can manually browse directly to the LAN URL (http://192.168.0.166:10001) without issue, and it serves incredibly fast.

But when I am stuck using the http://myid.tonidoid.com URL (which fails to redirect), download speeds are excessively slow.

nagapriya
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby nagapriya » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 am

Hi -

Please make sure the relay is enabled as in the screen 1 attached.
Also make sure the status is shown as active , connection status is online, network is enabled.

thanks.
Attachments
relay1.png
relay1.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
relay.png
relay.png (21.85 KiB) Viewed 4904 times

jefflaw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby jefflaw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:08 am

Yes all of that was confirmed before the original post.

Sreeja
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Sreeja » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 am

Hi,

Can you PM us your http://youraccount.tonidoid.com?

jefflaw
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby jefflaw » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 am

I figured out it was an installation issue. I had to delete this directory and reconfigure the server:

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Tonido\data

Note...the problem started after I installed the latest version of the Tonido server.

So there is likely some bug that corrupts an installation's configuration on upgrade.

What was really weird was that it still worked....just incredibly slowly over Relay.

Sreeja
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Sreeja » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 am

Thanks! We have forwarded this to our development team.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 am

The new version uses the new MSVC runtime, so if there were old plugins still in use combined with the new runtimes, this could have caused a problem.
Just uninstalling Tonido and re-installing should have been sufficient if there were any issues. You don't need to delete data folder.

Return to “Tonido Software”