Error: Website With Harmful Software Warning

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
bantrybay
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Error: Website With Harmful Software Warning

Postby bantrybay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:40 pm

When I send an email link from my iPhone (for a file that is larger than 15mb), upon clicking on that link in Mac Mail on my iMac, thus opening the link in Safari, I get the above message: Website With Harmful Software Warning. I tried the link in Firefox and got this error: Reported Unwanted Software Page!
This however does not happen on my Mac Mini. It also went through fine to my wife's work email. Any ideas about what makes Tonido give that kind of error on my own computer would be great.

kmarinier
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Error: Website With Harmful Software Warning

Postby kmarinier » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm thinking its probably because the link directly downloads a file. You didn't mention the file type, but some (especially zip and exe files) can be associated with viruses and such. Mail programs and browsers will usually throw those kinds of warnings at you. Even word document can have macros built in that can run damaging scripts.

I just tried exactly what you discussed using microsoft outlook and google chrome with no issues using word and excel files.

Anyway all that being said I wouldn't be concerned about Tonido in regards to these errors...

nagapriya
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby nagapriya » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:13 am

we are unable to reproduce this issue. we are not getting the "harmful software warning" for file shared of 100MB.

bantrybay
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bantrybay » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 am

This time my client received the "Reported Unwanted Software Page!" I had sent a link to a 394kb pdf file, so it doesn't seem to be tied to a large (>15mb) file. Yes, I've sent zip files, but not exe files (I'm Mac) but this was a tiny pdf. Can anyone suggest what info I would need to send to someone to be able to duplicate the problem? Nagapriya, would you allow me to send you a link to see if it happens to you?

nagapriya
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby nagapriya » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 am

please attach the file in this reply thread. we will use it for testing this issue.

bantrybay
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bantrybay » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Here's the link. I just sent this to my own email and received the error:

Website With Harmful Software Warning
This website may try to trick you into installing software that harms your browsing experience, like changing your settings without your permission or showing you unwanted ads. Once installed, it may be difficult to remove.

Shows up as a warning box over a whole solid red page. It states at the bottom:
"If you understand the risks involved, you can visit this unsafe website." If you click the "visit...etc." you then are brought to the webpage that you can save as a pdf.

https://bantrybay.tonidoid.com/url34idqa

Process: Located a small pdf file using iPhone connected to my iMac. Selected "Share", Selected "Create Direct Link" Copied to clipboard. Opened Mail on iPhone, pasted link to this email, sent. Checked email on iMac, got above error.

Thx,j

nagapriya
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby nagapriya » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:00 am

we are getting the following error as attached screen shot.
server might be down; restart the tonido server and relay.
Attachments
tonido forum.png
tonido forum.png (32.26 KiB) Viewed 5757 times

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm

It seems to me that this particular URL got flagged and added to some white list somewhere causing this warnings.
You can try creating a new Tonido account instead.

Return to “Tonido Software”