Song truncated on iphone/iPad app -- any reason why?

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Song truncated on iphone/iPad app -- any reason why?

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 am

rydgaze wrote:I checked this file on both iOS and android and I see it is showing the right size in my case! I am using Windows backend server .

What backend are you using? Are you forcing transcoding?

The backend I am using: Mac version of server: 5.80.0.26973 Mac app: 5.81.0.26973 running on Mac OSX 10.9.4

On the iOS app, I am playing things at the "Original" BitRate

(I just updated the server and application this morning, but have not reindexed anything -- maybe I should do that?)

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:23 am

Actually, trying a reindexing of my music folder is probably a good idea. This will probably take a while, so I'll update when that is done.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am

I don't think reindex is going to fix it.. I played that file directly from the filesystem , indexing does not do more than simply cache that data. I will check with mac backend and see what is going on.

EDIT: I just checked with mac backend (a macbookpro running OSX 10.9.3) and it works fine as well. I guess I should check after indexing and see if that has any change (shouldnt ). If you play the song directly form file system, do you still see that truncated time?

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:59 am

rydgaze wrote:I don't think reindex is going to fix it.. I played that file directly from the filesystem , indexing does not do more than simply cache that data. I will check with mac backend and see what is going on.

EDIT: I just checked with mac backend (a macbookpro running OSX 10.9.3) and it works fine as well. I guess I should check after indexing and see if that has any change (shouldnt ). If you play the song directly form file system, do you still see that truncated time?

I do not see any truncation if I play the file in iTunes (first thing I tried this morning).

I do not see any truncation if I play the song by opening the file directly with QuickTime (tried just now)

I do not see any truncation if I drag the song from iTunes directly to my iPhone and play it with the "Music" application (tried just now...)

I do not see any truncation if I use the "player" in the web interface on my Mac at 127.0.0.1:10001

I'm only seeing the "5:07" version in the Tonido application

(and, if this went as fast as it implies it did, deleting the index and readding it is done and that made no difference)

I also tried deleting the song from iTunes and updating the Tonido index (so the file was gone) and then copying the song back into iTunes and updating the Tonido index again -- and the file is still 5:07 in Tonido.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Definitely an odd behavior. Unfortunately none of the combo I have (mac 64bit or win7 64 bit) with iOS or Android show the 5:07. I dont transcode either so it is directly read by the app.

I am assuming you are on iOS7?

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes. iOS7. I do have something with the iOS 8.0 seed on it (but I have not tried Tonido on that yet...) I'll see if I can dig that up...

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Tested iOS 8.0b4 (not the new b5 seeded today) on an iPad -- that, too, shows me the 5:07 version of the song...

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Is there any kind of debugging you want me to do? Is there some way to "reset" Tonido on my Mac so that it starts clean?

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

The problem is, that value is read directly from the actual player provided by the iOS!

The way we have it is, in the case of transcoding, the player will not be able to determine the duration and in that case we try to use the ID3 data if available (otherwise it will simply be 00:00).

But since there is no transcoding, the player itself will be able to determine the audio length and that is what is being shown. Do you have any other iDevice and see if this is something specific to the build on your iPhone ? Tonido literally doesn't just provides raw file data directly to the player.

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:40 pm

I have 3 iOS devices -- an iPad Air (which is where I noticed this) and an iPhone 4S -- both running 7.1.2

I have an IPad 3 running 8.0b5 (now) for testing.

Granted, all 3 iOS devices are running off (basically) the same setup. I restored the build on the phone to the Air and the Air to the iPad 3 over time...

All three show the same specific file with the same incorrect 5:07 length (and playing the file makes truncates the file.)

I can try trashing Tonido from the iPad3 and reinstalling it if that matters. Does the app have "data" I'd need to try to uninstall prior to just removing the application?

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”