Destructive Rotate Image Feature

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
trifco
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Destructive Rotate Image Feature

Postby trifco » Sun May 05, 2013 4:57 am

If I'm not mistaken, when you rotate the image in the gallery/slideshow view, tonido REWRITES the original image!? :o As an amateur photographer I can tell you that this is very, very BAD "feature". :(

Basically our MASTER image files are at the mercy of the gallery/slideshow re-compression algorithm. :!: Every time you rotate your picture you are basically re-compressing the MASTER image file and instantly and permanently deteriorating the image quality by introducing the new (jpg) compression artifacts. This is a really bad news for any serious photographer.

At least, PLEASE add the warning popup screen for Tonido users that are not aware of this fact. :geek:

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Destructive Rotate Image Feature

Postby madhan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks for the note, we will consider adding a warning.

trifco
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby trifco » Mon May 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Thank you for your response. The image rotation (as it is implemented in Picasa for example) is the "most wanted" feature of Tonido.

It looks like there is a solution for the EXIF data reading in PHP. I know it's the post about WP.. but Tonido also uses PHP.. right?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7103 ... -wordpress

moonlake
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby moonlake » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 am

thans .I think trifco's suggestion is reasonable. I met the same problem when rotating images.I am expectful for such a warning.
My honoured Tracy

Guillaume
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Guillaume » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:32 pm

I know this is an old thread, but the issue is still very relevant and quite disturbing:
  1. The image rotation feature corrupts images
  2. The feature removes all EXIF data from the file
  3. There is no way to even know in advance that the original file will be overwritten immediately
I highly recommend to remove this feature before many people corrupt their photos by using it. The best way to (1) check the EXIF info an rotate accordingly and (2) implement a rotate feature for cases in which the EXIF info is incorrect that ONLY rotates the canvas in the web browser (http://www.ajaxblender.com/howto-rotate ... anvas.html). Both can also be implemented in the WebShare plugin for guests to be able to temporarily rotate photos upon viewing.
Attachments
IMG_0015_original.jpg
Original file without problems
IMG_0015_original.jpg (847.95 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
IMG_0015_corrupted.jpg
This one has been rotated 4 times, after which you can see the wrong offsets (cross in the middle).
IMG_0015_corrupted.jpg (847.95 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Return to “Tonido Software”