Can only start TonidoSync as Root

Support forum for Personal Cloud Sync
orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Can only start TonidoSync as Root

Postby orezero » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm

I have just installed the most recent version of the Linux TonidoSync client on my Kubuntu 12.10 installation, and it will not start unless I start it as the root user with a sudo command. This doesn't seem to be the way that it worked in previous versions. Have I forgotten something? Am I doing something wrong? Is something likely to be misconfigured somewhere? My TonidoPlug2 seems to be working, and my TonidoSync is working under Windows 7.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Can only start TonidoSync as Root

Postby madhan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 pm

That is odd, that shouldn't be the case. You shouldn't require the sudo command. Can't you start it using the shortcut from programs?

orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby orezero » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm

No. I can only start by issuing the sudo command via the terminal. When I start without the command, or by using the shortcut in the menu, the busy icon spins in my taskbar for about a minute, then vanishes. when I try to start via the terminal without the sudo command, nothing seems to happen; I am immediately given another command prompt.

UPDATE 12-13-12
I have just discovered that the problem exists with Kubuntu 12.10, but not with Kubuntu 12.04 or with Ubuntu 12.10.

orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby orezero » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:24 am

Bump.

Four days have passed since I've received any kind of response from you guys and this is your only available avenue of technical support. So far, your only help has been to tell me that my problem "shouldn't be the case."

Since I have last posted, I have downgraded my version of Linux. Now, the TonidoSync app asks me to log in, but rejects my login information with the prompt, "failed to connect to Tonido Server. Verify that the software is running." This happens even though the service seems to be running on my Windows 7 machine and comes up via the web interface.

I have been dead in the water for close to two weeks now. I am counting on hearing back from you...

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:36 am

We test in our labs using Ubuntu and have never tried Kubuntu or other Ubuntu variants. It is going to take a while for this issue to get looked into by first installing Kubuntu etc.. so it is unlikely a fix will happen for this in the immediate time period or we can tell you what the problem is.

Verify that the software is running." This happens even though the service seems to be running on my Windows 7 machine and comes up via the web interface.

For this problem, please post the log files from the sync client from kubuntu system.
It is found in <HomeDir>\TonidoSyncData\client\syncclient.log

orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby orezero » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks for letting me know that I can still look forward to getting some help from you.

Attached is the log file from my Kubuntu 12.10 machine:
Attachments
syncclient.log
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 419 times

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

There are no errors in the log file.
In your server, if you open the applications tab do you see both sync and explorer app active and enabled?

orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby orezero » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes. Both are enabled. Also enabled are Webshare Pro, Media Server, Search and Backup. All are version 2.61.0.20991.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 am

At this point, it might be worth looking at the tonido server log, please change the log level to trace, try connecting via your sync client and then post your log file.

orezero
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby orezero » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Sorry to be dense, but I don't know how to change the log level to "trace." Is this something I do within the Tonido software on my TonidoPlug? I am looking for such an option in the "Logs" section of the Tonido Administrator control panel. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, I am noticing an additional problem that might or might not be related. Although I can sometimes use my browser to access the Tonido device via the URL that is associated with it -- chezridpath.tonidoid.com -- the process is failing pretty regularly now, returning the message "An internal server error occurred. Please try again later." I can, however, access the device by going to tonidoplug.com/ip; that always seems to see the device.

Is there a relationship between these two problems? Do I have two separate problems? Should I start a new thread?

Thanks again for continuing to help me troubleshoot.

Return to “Tonido Sync v1 - Archived”