Firefox extension not working for me - grayed out

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
ehamiter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Firefox extension not working for me - grayed out

Postby ehamiter » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi there,

Just got my plug today, and so far everything is working great with the exception of the torrent extension. If I manually add a torrent to the Tonido Torrent app, it works great. However, no matter what settings I try, I can't seem to get the extension to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Every time I click on a torrent link, Firefox just prompts me to save it or open it with an application. The icon on the bottom right is grayed out, too, which I suspect means it's not set up properly.

Any pointers or troubleshooting steps I can take? Thanks.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Firefox extension not working for me - grayed out

Postby madhan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:02 pm

I am assuming you have installed the Tonido Torrent addon for FireFox.

Once you installed it and configured the settings to point towards your Tonido installation, you can go and download any torrent file. Select to save your .torrent file and then you will get a prompt asking if you wish to send it to your Tonido Torrents. Just say yes and it will be added to your queue.

ehamiter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby ehamiter » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Hmm, this is strange. On the bottom of the Tonido Torrent app page, the link for the Firefox extension is for TonidoFox. There is a Tonido Torrent extension, as well. I guess I don't know the difference.

I did install the Tonido Torrent addon; I do get the prompt to send the torrent to the plug after saving it, but it does not actually queue up.

Also, 2 of 4 of my testing torrent sites do not seem to work when adding files manually. There are plenty of seeds available, but it's like it doesn't even register a request from my end. Could that be from saving the .torrent file locally and then adding it into the queue? I am curious why some work and some do not.

It's like I almost have everything working on the plug but the most critical part.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:00 pm

TonidoFox - This extension is for providing easy shortcut access to Tonido application itself. With this extension, you would use Tools->addons->TonidoFox->options to add the server name (or ip) and port of the system where Tonido is running (in your case the plug). Besure to check the https box if you are using ssl with your Tonido. Initially, the sun icon will be grayed out to indicate that the browser session has not authenticated with the tonido server. If you left click on the grayed out sun icon, it will ask you to authenticate first and open the Tonido login page. Once you login, you can click on the grayed out icon and it will turn orange and subsequent clicks will have a menu listing all the plugins that you can open directly. Right clicking on the orange sun icon will show the list of invitations and messages.

TonidoTorrent Firefox plugin is primarily meant to allow easy uploading of Torrent files to Tonido Torrent plugin. You would need to configure TonidoTorrent using Tools->addons->TonidoTorrent->options. Enable ssl checkbox if needed. You need to authenticate with Tonido once by accessing the Tonido Admin page.

When you save a torrent file from, TonidoTorrent firefox plugin will display a message that it can send the Torrent file to your Tonido Torrent plugin directly. If you accept that, then it will send that file to Tonido Torrent. A success message will be displayed if the file was successfully uploaded.

Tonido Torrent uses libtorrent library underneath it and should have no problem with vast majority of Torrent files (it should handle public, private trackers without problem).

Note: Before trying TonidoTorrent firefox plugin, can you use the Tonido Torrent's UI to upload the torrent file? Tonido running Tonidoplug requires you to set a non-internal-flash location as the working directory before it will allow Torrent downloads.

Thanks

ehamiter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby ehamiter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks for the replies and clarification.

I think I found out what the problem is with some sites working and others not- some sites have a whitelist of torrent clients that they will allow- does Tonido Torrent identify itself as "libtorrent" or "Tonido Torrent?"

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am

Hi,
I believe TonidoTorrent will identify as libtorrent. I will confirm this later today.

Thanks

ehamiter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby ehamiter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Did you ever find out what it identifies itself as?

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Yep. The ID it uses is "libtorrent/"
Tonido Torrent does not override this value.

Thanks

knireis
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby knireis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:33 am

When i download a torrent and select and the tonidotorrent asks to add it to tonidotorrent, nothing happens. Adding a torrent manual works fine.
Tonidofox plugin is also running and the symbol is orange. Tonidotorrent plugin is configured correctly.

mail4asim
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby mail4asim » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:14 pm

My downloads are set to my external USB drive. Do I need to do anything else to get the Tonido Torrent plugin to work. Cause when I download a torrent file, it asks me if I want to send this to the plug, I click on OK but then nothing happens.

rydgaze wrote:Note: Before trying TonidoTorrent firefox plugin, can you use the Tonido Torrent's UI to upload the torrent file? Tonido running Tonidoplug requires you to set a non-internal-flash location as the working directory before it will allow Torrent downloads.

Thanks

Return to “Tonido Software”