Listening to Music remotely using Tonido Jukebox

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Listening to Music remotely using Tonido Jukebox

Postby rydgaze » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Here is a Tip when trying to listen music without interruptions (typically the bitrate is 128 bit or higher) from a remote computer (For example, Tonido serving your music collection from home computer)

1. Set the upload bandwidth to 50 Kbps or Unlimited so that the songs can be streamed without interruptions, otherwise, depending on the bitrate, the song might start to stutter.

2 If you dont want to keep the upload to maximum, then drop the Quality to "Radio" mode in Tonido Player on the listening end and it should work fine. For most cases, "Radio" mode should sound fine without too much loss in quality.

Try it out!

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Listening to Music remotely using Tonido Jukebox

Postby RaiD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

I've tried turning down the play setting to Radio Mode, but it really sounds tinny - I'm trying to avoid that level. I am having some buffering issues streaming from an external internet connection which is why I'm adjusting it in the first place - isn't the point of buffering to "pre-download" enough of the media ahead of time so that I can stream at a higher quality without interruption? I have a 6Mbps download/1Mbps upload connection and I would think it would be able to keep up with streaming 128kbps audio. When I steam media on the local LAN it will stream at Normal quality without buffering issues whatsoever so I know it's not a problem with the TonidoPlug not being able to keep up.

Thank you for any suggestions!

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 am

So you are not able to run 128 Kbps consistently? Are you relaying or port forwarding?

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby RaiD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am

Port forwarding, default port 10001.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 am

I think then your upload bw then is not consistently stable. If you are port forwarding there are no other unknown variables other than your connection. You could try the relay just for kicks to see how well that works for you.

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby RaiD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. :) I might try some QoS settings on my router, but I think we may have already diagnosed the real problem...I'll give it a shot and report back if I find anything interesting.

Return to “Tonido Software”