How to purchase SSL License

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Re: How to purchase SSL License

Postby dongadoy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am

I definitely understand CodeLathe's position. Time is better spent improving Tonido in other ways. I have a feeling the vast majority of Tonido users either:
-=- don't know about SSL,
-=- don't care because their photos and music are not terribly private, or
-=- can't be bothered annually renewing and installing a SSL certificate.

I fell in the last category. Even though I know the benefits of SSL and have some private data on my TonidoPlug, I still did not use SSL. I downloaded the certificate a year ago with the intention of setting it up; but the relay is just too convenient and I never bothered.

Then I discovered using Webdrive to SFTP to my plug. It's not Tonido; but it's easy and secure. And Tonido and the SSL relay are still there for when I'm away from my usual computers.

Still, it would be nice to have a private SSL option, just in case CodeLathe disappears, or decides it can no longer offer the relay.

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Any news, when the SSL License will be back in the store?
I saw that the Option is still available in the Settings and still say to get a license from the store.

Or are you still going to disable SSL?
Then what about that:
http://www.codelathe.com/blog/index.php ... onidoplug/

Security is a big priority for us here at CodeLathe and we take it seriously.

What has chnged your mind??

And on your Hompage your're still promising this Feature:
http://www.tonido.com/tonidocloud_what.html

When i bought the Plug SSL was available and it was importand for me for my purchase decision. So your just like SONY Promissing Features, get money from the customers and than kill the importand features (PS3 - Other OS).
In my opinion i've payed for that SSL feature, too and killing this Feature is like breaking the contract.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

We are not disabling SSL from the product, your Tonido software will continue to function with your SSL certificate you got from us.

We are no longer selling it in our store because of lack of demand. We sold very few (handful) of licenses over the last 2 years. Supporting it as an active product is not just feasible for a small company.

If the customers did buy this, we will be more than happy to sell it in our store as an option.

enwor
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby enwor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Then may I ask if the product was mainly a trusted certificate, or is there more related to it?
If it is "only" a trusted certificate and you don't want to sell it anymore, t would be very nice to "open" tonido to import a self-signed certificate. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to get it for free, I just want to have this feature in the first place.

Regards
Enwor

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

enwor wrote:If it is "only" a trusted certificate and you don't want to sell it anymore, t would be very nice to "open" tonido to import a self-signed certificate. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to get it for free, I just want to have this feature in the first place.

Same for me.
I not having a certificate. When i wanted to buy it, it was away from the shop.
I still would buy one, if i could and i know one or two more friends of mine, which would buy one.
So if have 3 certificates somewhere, i would buy them.
But installing a selfsigned one will be ok, if codelathe don't want to mess up with managing trusted certs. The imported thing is encryption, not authetification of the server (it's mine, so i will trust it, even if the certificate is not a trusted one ;) ). A little how-to install a selfsigned certifcate will be enough.

madhan wrote:We are no longer selling it in our store because of lack of demand. We sold very few (handful) of licenses over the last 2 years. Supporting it as an active product is not just feasible for a small company.

If the customers did buy this, we will be more than happy to sell it in our store as an option.

Like i said before in one of my posts:
Most people just doesn't know about the differences between SSL and non-SSL.
Or doesn't recognize that they're not on SSL.
I should add a Warning if someone tries to acces his tonido from outside the LAN without SSL (even, when they use the relay service).
Also you should Pop-Up a Warning, if someone disables the relay Service, telling him to install a (selfsigned) certificate (or buy one).

RobbieG
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby RobbieG » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:52 pm

agrajag wrote:
enwor wrote:If it is "only" a trusted certificate and you don't want to sell it anymore, t would be very nice to "open" tonido to import a self-signed certificate. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to get it for free, I just want to have this feature in the first place.

But installing a selfsigned one will be ok, if codelathe don't want to mess up with managing trusted certs. The imported thing is encryption, not authetification of the server (it's mine, so i will trust it, even if the certificate is not a trusted one ;) ). A little how-to install a selfsigned certifcate will be enough.

Like i said before in one of my posts:
Most people just doesn't know about the differences between SSL and non-SSL.
Or doesn't recognize that they're not on SSL.
I should add a Warning if someone tries to acces his tonido from outside the LAN without SSL (even, when they use the relay service).
Also you should Pop-Up a Warning, if someone disables the relay Service, telling him to install a (selfsigned) certificate (or buy one).

I agree with all of this. I would like the option to make a self-signed certificate, and Tonido should be more transparent about the lack of security.

openaspace
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby openaspace » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:37 pm

I have buyed now the tonido software license and all this is realy incredible.

I not need the tonido ssl certificate, i can create my own certificate, but i need a manual instruction to add it to my server software.

Waiting.

openaspace
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby openaspace » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:44 pm

In the setting SSL page i can read: Control to enable SSL when not using Relay service. Note that you can get SSL with Relaying Service by simply prefixing https to your Public Access URL.

Now i not want the relay service, but how can enable ssl service? why?

If i will not receive an valid answer on this, i need my money back, because all this is more simple to realize with an openvpn connection and an osx file server on linux and mount the remote share folder through ssl connection.

Waiting

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:43 pm

We are not supporting self-signed ssl certificates at this point because of the mobile apps have issues with it.

We intend to support self-signed SSL once those issues are fixed.

If you bought tonidopro assuming that you are getting self-signed ssl please send an email to support@codelathe.com requesting a refund.

bob_tm
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bob_tm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:06 am

madhan wrote:We are not supporting self-signed ssl certificates at this point because of the mobile apps have issues with it.
We intend to support self-signed SSL once those issues are fixed.

Hmmm... let me get this straight. In order to have your files and associated data encrypted when using Tonido, you must use an official SSL certificate on your Tonido server as self-signed certificates seem to cause some problems with mobile apps. The alternative is to go via Tonido's relay servers, lowering performance and sharing your private data with Tonido.

Earlier Tonido sold certificates (official ones I presume?) you could put on your Tonido server, so you could keep your data private even from Tonido, but this service is discontinued.

Many people, me included, have official certificates from various CAs. Can these be used to protect our Tonido servers, or is the ability to use official certificates not bought from Tonido also disabled and/or cause strange problems with mobile apps? If it is indeed possible to use official certificates issued by other CAs than Tonido, is there a brief description on how to set this up?

Speaking for myself only, of course, sharing my computer content unencrypted across the Internet or sharing them with Tonido is out of the question.

all the best,

Bob(tm)

Return to “Tonido Software”