Tonido builds cache but never syncs

Support forum for Personal Cloud Sync
Drina
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Tonido builds cache but never syncs

Postby Drina » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 am

I'm syncing a Mac using Tonidosync client to a PC running Tonido server. I see heavy network traffic when the Tonidosync client is running, and it's creating a massive cache on my Mac hard drive, but it never seems to actually get around to syncing my target folders between the two machines. Size of the fileset is about 20GB, containing about 20,000 files.

Two questions:

1. Is it actually the design intent to create a mirror of the entire synced fileset in a cache folder? If yes, that's extremely bad design. It doubles the hard disk requirements for any synced filesystem and is, frankly, unnecessary. On a MacBook Air with a limited SSD HD, it's a fatal flaw. I've had to delete the cache several times just to keep the HD from maxing out.

2. At what point does Tonidosync actually start syncing? (For example, does it have to build a cache of the entire fileset before it starts to sync any folders?)

I've been running Tonido for over a week between these two machines and as far as I can tell it hasn't synced a damn thing. It eats network bandwidth and hard disk space like crazy, but other than giving the appearance of moving data it appears to be nonfunctional. This situation is made worse by the complete lack of a diagnostic interface in the server and the lack of ANY interface in the sync client.

Any insights anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. If this is a known problem and there's a workaround, I'd love it. If I've just paid for junk software, I'd love to know that too so I don't continue to waste time trying to get this mess to work.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Tonido builds cache but never syncs

Postby madhan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 pm

The cache is used to hold temporary files before being transferred over to the sync folder. This is to force consistency. If you keep deleting the cache folder it is not going to work.

In any case, detailed troubleshooting information is only available in the tonido sync client log files, please post it. See viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3335 on where to find out.

Drina
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Drina » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:30 pm

I can understand why individual files in transit need to be cached. But to cache the ENTIRE fileset, permanently, is ridiculous. Even a very primitive syncing algorithm wouldn't require that.

This limitation means that Tonido is only of value to users with either a very small set of synced files, or a large hard drive with lots of room and bandwidth to waste. You should provide a warning to potential subscribers.

And even when I don't delete the cache, the damn software simply never gets around to actually syncing files. The ONLY thing it syncs is the cache itself.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend any additional time on this messing around with logs, when it's clear the problem lies with an intentional and inexplicable design decision. I won't be renewing. (Though I think I will be reviewing.)

asdf
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby asdf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:18 am

I have a similar problem. The sync doesn't complete, so nothing is ever placed into the actual sync folder (that is a separate issue).

Assuming the sync completes, are the files then moved to the actual sync folder or would they be copied, or in other words, if everything was working perfectly, would the files exist in one location on my HDD or would they be duplicated?

Btw. I also use Google Drive and it only has every file once on my HDD.

Return to “Tonido Sync v1 - Archived”