What software has to be running?

Support forum for Personal Cloud Sync
Tom_Austin
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

What software has to be running?

Postby Tom_Austin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 pm

This I found in the Sync FAQ:

4. Should I install Tonido Sync Client App and the Tonido Server App (With Sync) in the same computer?
No, that is not supported, only either the Tonido Sync App or the Server (Sync) should be installed and running on one computer.

But if I don't have Tonido running on both computers, there is no syncing at all. When I shut down Tonido on computer and try to access it with the computer that has both Tonido and the Sync client running, it says "Tonido Enabled Device unavailable."

1. Would someone please help me resolve this conflicting information?

When it does run, it syncs in only one direction, not really syncing, as far as I can tell just letting me view and open files. Is Upload the only way to send a file the other way? Why can I just drop it in a common folder and let it sync automatically? What folder would that be?

2. I can view the test files only on the server computer within the Tonido interface. I thought they would be automatically saved on the client computer I'm using to view them with. Where on the client computer are the newly synced files to be found?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: What software has to be running?

Postby madhan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 pm

On Computer 1: You install the Tonido Desktop Software.

On other computers you want to sync with contents in Computer 1, you install Tonido Sync Client Software.

Tom_Austin
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Tom_Austin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Thank you for your very quick reply on Easter weekend.

I now have the Server and Client communicating with just one app running on each computer. I can see the server files in my client's browser and can open them.

1. My understanding is that the word "Sync" implies that both the server and client will exchange and have the same files. Is Tonido Sync supposed to do this?

If so, what is the process to save the server's files on the client hard drive? I assumed it would be done automatically in the client's My Documents/TonidoSync folder. But even when I use Force Sync, nothing is transferred to that folder. If files are transferred, where on the client can I find them?

2. If I add a file to the TonidoSync folder on the client, how and when does it get synced to the server? Is it only when I use the Upload button? Is there a way for it to be synced automatically?

3. If I move a file into the TonidoSynd folder on the server, it shows up on the client interface only when I refresh the client browser. This goes back to the previous question, how to I get that file to be transferred automatically to the client's hard drive?

THANKS!

Tom

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Please read: http://www.tonido.com/support/display/docs/Sync+Files if you haven't already

Sync will copy files from the server computer to the client computer.
These files will be whatever in the "TonidoSync" folder.

You don't view them via the browser but by using the File Explorer app for that OS, say Windows Explorer.

To reiterate:
1) You install Tonido Desktop software on server, setup an account (http://john.tonidoid.com) etc.
2) You install Tonido Sync Client software (http://tonido.com/application_download.html#TonidoSync) and then configure it to connect to that server.

Tom_Austin
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Tom_Austin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:26 am

Good, thanks, it's working now. For some reason, when I was testing it at home on two different computers it wasn't syncing. I'm at the office now and it synced fast. This is more like it! THANKS!

Return to “Tonido Sync v1 - Archived”