New Android camera Upload feature doesn't see SD Card Pics

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

New Android camera Upload feature doesn't see SD Card Pics

Postby ballfam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 am

I just got updated the latest version on Android with the new camera uploads feature. It appears to be mostly working as expected, but I have an SD card where I store my pictures, and I also have some pictures on my internal storage; the upload uploads only the internal storage pictures and does not see the SD Card pictures.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 which has a feature called "best shot", which will take 8 shots at once, for performance reasons, these shots are always stored on internal storage, even if I have configured to save pictures on the SD Card. The net result, these phones will always have pictures on both internal storage and SD Card regardless of settings because of their "burst mode" type features.

Ideally, I would like Tonido to upload all new pictures form both internal and external storage (i.e. search both locations, even if it finds pictures in internal storage first).

Details are:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Android Version: 4.3
Internal pic location: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera
SD Card pic location: /storage/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: New Android camera Upload feature doesn't see SD Card Pi

Postby madhan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:23 am

We are looking to provide a way for the user to specify a direct folder path for photo uploads.

ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ballfam » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Madhan, Yes, that makes sense since there appear to be multiple variants of SD card picture location.

You might want to default to the Samsung location since it accounts for the majority of the Android market share

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:57 am

We are working on it, 2 weeks hopefully.

ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ballfam » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:12 pm

One other quick question on photo uploads which has come up a few times. When does will the photo upload work?

a) Only when Tonido is foregrounded?

b) Only when Tondio has been started after a phone re-boot, and has not been dismissed from active cache?

c) When Tondio has been started after a phone reboot and in any state (including already dismissed from active cache, i.e. fully swapped out)?

d) any time that the phone is running, because Tonido installed a background/helper service that executes on phone startup.

I would like the answer to be d), and it is completely possible on Android; but if it follows the iOS version, I suspect it is b) or c). If it is not d), are you working on that?

Also, how often does Tonido check for photos to upload? What happens if it is fully swapped out?

Thanks

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 pm

You are right, it behaves more like iOS version . Basically once Tonido is started and is in active cache, it will check for changes periodically.

We will look into making it like option 4

ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ballfam » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:30 pm

O.K...thanks Rydgaze....You will most likely need to ask for more privs on app install/update, but I'm happy with that to get the ability to know that uploads just always happen (BTW: this is how the DropBox version works; DropBox does not need to be started for the upload to happen, , so if you are competing with that solution, people will notice the difference).

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback ballfam. It definitely is useful.

This feature will definitely be added. The only reason it is not there in iOS is because of platform limitation (Dropbox is doing "supposedly not acceptable" behavior of using location services to trigger the app).

At the moment, the ability to override the default camera folder has already been added. Once it gets pushed, we will get the service behavior added to the app.

aadam12
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby aadam12 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Sorry for the "Me Too" post...

Add me to the list of users that would like to backup both DCIM/Camera folders. I have multiple Android phones and tablets. Some of them have both an internal and external SD card (SD0 and SD1).

Also, please include a way to select the upload path and specify the target folder name.

I am running Tonido on an Ubuntu server. The target directory for my photo uploads is
/Pictures/Android and then Tonido automatically creates a subfolder with the device name. Is there any way to change this? For example: I have two identical phones and would like to have two folders (mine and my wife's) with our names instead of the device name.

johndoe132
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Re: New Android camera Upload feature doesn't see SD Card Pics

Postby johndoe132 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:33 am

Hi all,

I'm having this same issue having just moved from iPhone to a Galaxy S7 running marshmellow.

When I go into the camera upload section in the android app and select to change the source location, I can't break out of /storage/emulated/0 which is the internal phone memory. Is there a way to specify the SD card, or can this be added? I thought about adding a symlink to the SD card but I think you need to root the phone to achieve this which I'm not comfortable with just yet.

Also on a related issues, the S7 (and I believe other Samsung phones) will save normal photos & videosto the SD card, but burst shots are always saved to the internal memory meaning there are two DCIM locations to backup from. Is there any chance the multiple source locations can be added to the android app to take account of this and avoid having to keep switching the source directory (assuming the SD card access can be solved)?

Many thanks!

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”