Song truncated on iphone/iPad app -- any reason why?

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Song truncated on iphone/iPad app -- any reason why?

Postby maser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:30 pm

So, let me go with the assumption that I'd like to uninstall and reinstall Tonido on my Mac to see if that resolves the problem (since it seems like you don't see the problem with the same file).

What would be the steps to do this?

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:18 pm

So, here's an interesting thing:

I reripped my original CD in two formats: iTunes Plus (256 m4a) and 320 MP3. I renamed the albums and copied those two albums into iTunes (so I have three copies of the album currently in iTunes (those two new versions along with the original 128 m4a rip.) (I didn't think to rerip it in 128 m4a format at the time -- I'll try to do that later...) I copied the artwork from the 128 version to the two other albums.

I then deleted the index, deleted all ".tonidodb" files (and visible, older, "Tonido.db" files) and reindexed my iTunes Music folder.

(NOTE: This took several attempts as it appears that that reindexing of my over 65000 tracks crashed multiple times -- it took a full day and many quits/restarts of Tonido to do this...)

When all was said and done...

I now have three versions of the track in iTunes -- and visible in the Tonido IOS app -- each on a different album.

if I select any one of them -- including the original truncated one -- they are all 5:56.

So, I then *deleted* the two album versions I added from iTunes. And I quit/restarted the Tonido app. I then search songs for the specific song.

This (oddly) still shows me all three albums, but the ones I deleted now have no artwork (and if I attempt to play the two deleted ones, it switches to the song, but nothing plays.

But the odd thing is if I go back to the existing 128 m4a version? It goes back to being 5:07.

So I'm still stumped here. If I had manually selected the song from the original album, how could have been 5:56 one time (when all three versions of the album were there), but 5:07 when only the original album is there?

(I could send screen shots from the iPad if you want...)

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm

The indexing will automatically fix itself because it will run at regular interval (and will do nothing if no file change was detected). That is the reason you see the file (but no album art because the file itself is gone).

Just to make sure I understand correct:

When you had all three version (new 256 m4a, 320 mp3 and the original 128 m4a), each one of those were showing 5:56

but when you deleted two of the three versions (the 256 m4a and 320 mp3), the remaining version (The original 128 m4a) shows 5:07?

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:40 pm

rydgaze wrote:Just to make sure I understand correct:

When you had all three version (new 256 m4a, 320 mp3 and the original 128 m4a), each one of those were showing 5:56

but when you deleted two of the three versions (the 256 m4a and 320 mp3), the remaining version (The original 128 m4a) shows 5:07?

This is correct. When all three albums were in iTunes, if I selected the same song from each album -- it gave me a 5:56 version.

Tonight, I will make another rip at 128 m4a and see what happens when I add a 4th album (which would have two versions at 128 m4a)

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 am

More interesting behavior...

So I did another rip of the album at 128 m4a. If now also copy this to iTunes so I have 4 copies of the album (original 128 m4a, new 128 m4a, 256 m4a and 320 mp3) -- each with a different album name and artwork, the following happens:

1) I go to play the *original* track -- it's still 5:07

2) I select *any of the other three versions* -- same session of the app -- and it will show me the correct 5:56 version.

3) if I stop playing any of those -- and go back to the *original track* -- the original track now shows 5:56

Artwork changes between each playing of the track so it would imply I am playing a unique version each time I select it.

However, if I quit the tonido app and go back in, the above steps will reproduce.

If I quit the app and play the 256 m4a version *first* (which shows 5:56) and then go to the original, the original shows 5:56.

But quit the app again and go right to the original version of the track -- and it's 5:07 again.

Quit the app again and first go to the *new* 128 m4a file -- and that file shows 5:24 (!). And that's consistently 5:24 when I do this. But if I switch to the original file -- it's 5:56

However, every time I open the 256 .m4a file -- it's always 5:56

Maybe there's a transcoding bug with 128 m4a files somewhere? But not on all of them obviously.

So, I'm stumped (and confused, frankly) at this behavior. I could send screen shots to show this, but I think you get the drift...

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:27 pm

I take it I have stumped you as well?

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:59 pm

When the original shows 5:56 (after you play the newer version to make the original to show 5:56), does it actually play till 5:56? I am wondering if the metadata that is cached is being loaded incorrectly even though the actual data itself is truncated?

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Ah, you might be right here.

I see 5:56 when I jump back to the original track. But if I move the slider as the track is playing, the time changes to 5:07...

And the newly ripped 128 m4a version does the same thing -- it shows 5:56, but if I move the slider, it reverts to 5:24

And, yes, it's truncated still...

(as you can imagine, I'm getting sick of playing the same song for 6 minutes over and over while we debug this...) ;-)

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:26 pm

So, one more bit of data.

The 256 m4a version -- plays the entire way through.

It's just the 128 m4a versions -- and still oddly *this song* -- that do not.

I played a couple of other 5:56 songs that I also ripped as 128 m4a -- and they play all the way through with no truncation.

Why *this song* (and whatever the other song was that I couldn't remember...) And why is one 128 m4a version 5:07 and the other 5:24?

It's a puzzlement, for sure!

maser
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby maser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Just curious if you'd like me to try anything this week with anything.

If not, I'll just wait until the next version of the iOS app comes out (and maybe see if I can identify any other patterns here...)

I have a *lot* of stuff ripped from CD with iTunes in 128 and/or 256 m4a and have really never noticed this before...

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”