Android BETA: Automatic backup of Photos and Videos support

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
sgaluf
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Android BETA: Automatic backup of Photos and Videos supp

Postby sgaluf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Same here. On LG nexus 5 camera uploads works, but on nexus 10 tablet it crashes Tonido app. On both devices Android 5 is running and latest Tonido app.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:39 pm

That looks like a bug. I am assuming it is stock android or is there some modifications to it? Our test setups are all stock versions and they load properly. It does look for paths where photos are stored (using Android's API) and I wonder if something is broken. What is the device model? Perhaps we can check on that and get the failure data.

SC23
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby SC23 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Both our tablets are stock loaded. Mine is a Best-Buy Insignia, the wife's is a Galaxy Tab Pro, pretty much the opposite ends of the tablet world and they both crash the same. I cant tell the actual path, but its listed as "internal memory/DCIM/Camera" when I browse around. FWIW I just got a new LG G3 phone and the sync works fine as well. It Rocks actually.

techoguy
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby techoguy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the automatic picture backup! It's a great feature.

I did want to voice my vote for additions as well.

1) An option to only backup while charging would be great.

2) Ability to select and backup multiple folders. If I edit a picture in an app, it will store it in it's own folder, which can't be backed up now. It would be nice to be able to select multiple folders to backup so all pictures on the phone can be backed up.

3) Ability to create unique store location folder name for multiple users with the same phone.

Thanks again for a great app!

Sreeja
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Sreeja » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 pm

That is a good idea. We will take a note of that for our update

ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ballfam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 am

For me, the absolute biggest required feature is automatic upload of pictures even if Tonido has never been started after a reboot, or has been dismissed. This is completely possible on Android using a helper thread that runs on system startup.

This is the main reason that I am still not using this feature after 6 months. I need to know that my pictures just get uploaded automatically, no matter what state I last left Tonido in. I would love to cut my dependence on DropBox completely, but I still have to use it for picture uploads because I can't depend on Tonido to do it without some manual intervention.

Please can we add this feature to the list, at least for Android...pretty please. I know it shouldn't be possible for iOS, but I'm O.K. with that, I no longer have any iOS devices that I take photos on.

Thanks

Djchew
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Djchew » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 am

ballfam, I completely agree. This feature is needed or the application does not even compete with any of the others out there which already do that.

Djchew
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Djchew » Fri May 01, 2015 9:19 am

Any tips for troubleshooting a hung Camera Uploads? It happens to be all of the time. It will hang at a specific number. I have to kill the application and start it again. Most of the time it will hang on the same one again (like number 604 of 1875, currently) the next time it gets there. After 5 to 10 attempts like this, it will work.

I would love to enable some kind of debug logging to see what is causing the problem.

ballfam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ballfam » Mon May 04, 2015 6:47 pm

@Djchew: It could be a bug due to network switching. Do you get any kind of network dropout either because of bad 4G signal, switching between WiFi access points, or switching from WiFi to 4G, or vice versa?

Take a look at my point 3) in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8834&p=36961#p36961

I don't think any of these issues are fixed yet (another reason why I'm not using this feature right now).

Djchew
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Djchew » Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

@ballfam, thanks for the help. I am not dropping WiFi, however, Happens at home and at work. It always stops on the same number (used to be 604). If I take more pictures, the number increases (is now 637), but then stops again at the same number (637). It does not get past that number.

This is at least the 30th time I have seen this issue. In the past, killing the app and starting it again would help. But not any more. It also takes a very long time for it to count down to the affected file (646 i think now, out of 1850-ish files).

I have resorted to manually backing up my images once again because Tonido cannot be trusted to back them up :(

Here is a screenshot of the Tonido app when it is hung. I attached two screenshots together to show the progress at 0% as well.
I have left it overnight several times hoping it would get past and it has not.

I am installing version 4.0 from the Play Store now to see if it helps at all.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-05-05-07-04-28-together-small.png
Screenshot_2015-05-05-07-04-28-together-small.png (37.79 KiB) Viewed 8779 times

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”