Guest user experience for accessing music library

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
macfrankie
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Guest user experience for accessing music library

Postby macfrankie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 am

I would like to be able to setup guest accounts for friend's and family that only show my iTunes music library the same way as it appears under admin login. Is this not possible? If I share my music folders and other directories containing playlists, etc., they only see them under Files to browse as opposed to the music library structure I see as admin on mobile or desktop. I have the Tonido desktop app running on a Windows 7 machine and just updated to the latest version.

If this is not doable, then I will have to go to an alternative like Subsonic. Please advise if there is something I'm missing here. Thanks.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Guest user experience for accessing music library

Postby madhan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 am

Yes, that is correct, only admins have access to the music library, guests only see shared files.

macfrankie
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby macfrankie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

Any possibility that a feature like this will be added at some point?
It would really be nice to offer guest accounts a music streaming experience similar to the admin's or a third party app like Subsonic.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:20 am

yes, we will consider the function to allow indexed data (and playlist) to be accessed by guest users.

Stach
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Stach » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 am

I agree, this feature can't come fast enough. I'm glad that I found this post as I thought I was doing something wrong when setting up Guest access, as I expected those accounts to be able to browse music by artist, song name, etc... and not just file access. Please enable the full music experience for guest accounts ASAP.

Thanks for listening.
Stach

macfrankie
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby macfrankie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:33 pm

It's been a whole year now...Looks like we need more squeaky wheels here if we want this implemented.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm

The biggest problem is, it is not a trivial change (though it is possible). Because indexed data is kept in a DB, that has be continuously updated based on file change AND permission change, as well as, the indexed data should be kept for each of the guest.

So.. unless there is a huge demand, it is hard to bubble it up to the top of the execution stack ;)

Guillaume
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:14 am

I think you could implement it in a much easier way, though: just add an option "Share my Music Library with this guest" in Shared Files -> Guests -> Edit. This would allow for guests to make use of the library while no additional processing / separate index is necessary and the option would still be clear to all users.

Another great thing about it would be that if you as admin want to play some music at someone else's, you won't have to login with your admin account and expose all your files.

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”