Blackberry App buggy

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
philmair
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Blackberry App buggy

Postby philmair » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:54 am

BB App is so quirky it is almost useless.

(1) Won't connect unless you turn of 3g first and log in via WiFi

(2) You can then turn 3G on and log in OK .... sometimes ...

(3) Often you get "Invalid Credentials" - you have to re-start Tonido server then it MIGHT log you in ... or it might not, and you get the "Can't log in" problem ... so then you have to turn off 3G again ....

(4) Sometimes it remembers your logon details, most times it just gives you a blank screen and you have to enter URL, username and password again.

... then it won't log in again until you turn of 3g .... etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Please !!!!!!

The free version would be a great ad for the paid version .. if it worked. But how are you gonna persuade anyone to hand over money when they are too busy banging their head against a wall ???!!!!

Here's a simple 1-2-3 of what it needs to be viable :

(1) Get the connection right so it works without having to toggle 3G on and off

(2) Sort out the bug where locks you out cos it wrongly thinks there are too many login attempts - this is probably something to do with leaving a session open, so get the BB app to Exit correctly.

(3) and please ... when I hit "save" do it ! Don't keep presenting me with blank URL/Login fields .. if I wanted typing practice I'd have bought a typing tutor app !

... otherwise .. a nice project :D

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Blackberry App buggy

Postby madhan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks for the feedback.
We don't get a lot of feedback on the blackberry app, so yours is valuable helping us improve the experience.

philmair
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby philmair » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 am

... also, I'm confused ....

I thought the idea of a "cloud" was that files could be shared (and sync'ed) across many devices. The BB Tonido client allows me to browse for files on the server. When I click on them it asks me to download. I assumed this was because it was the first time. I now change the file on my BB .. but the changes are not sync'ed back to the server. If fact when I click on the file (located in My Synced Files on the BB) I get asked to download it again ... hence over-writing the changes.

Am I missing something?

One more question - does the BB client allow me to log in as a guest as well as the administrator. I ask because I've never succeeded in getting this to work, but I'm not sure if it related to the other issues.

I'd really like to like this app because I think its got great potential, but at present its just not usable.

... and finally ... are there any plans to port it to the BB Playbook (or am I pushing it a bit !) ?

charindex
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby charindex » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

Please disable 3G and can you please try with WIFI alone enabled. See your login experience.

Next disable WiFi and enable only 3G. Let us know how this works.

That is the BB phone does not automatically switch between 3G and WIFI. Once I get your feedback, we will work on this switch between 3G and WIFI.

Also, please tell your Phone Model and your network.

philmair
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby philmair » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 am

(1) Switched off both WiFi and 3G to make sure nothing is cached.

(2) Switched on WiFi
- started Tonido : all fields were blank
- filled in url, userid and pwd
- hit Save
- logged in first time OK and was able to browse files
- Exited Tonido by using the BB return button

(3) Re-started Tonido and all fields were still intact, and logged in OK
- was able to browse

(4) Re-started Tonido - got a "could not communicate ..."
- all fields now blank
- re-entered url, userid, pwd again, hit Save
- still got the "could not communicate .." error message
- tried this several times with the same result
- I was able to log in OK via the web interface, hence the server was running

(5) Switched off WiFi and then on again
- all fields still blank
- re-entered url, userid, pwd again, hit Save
- connected OK

(6) Switched off WiFi and switched on 3G
- restarted Tonido .. connected first time, all fields intact
- was able to browse files

(7) Re-started Tonido and all fields were still intact, and logged in OK
- was able to browse

(8) Switched on WiFi (3G left unchanged .. ie on)
- restarted Tonido .. connected first time, all fields intact
- was able to browse files

(9) Restarted Tonido
- all fields now blank !

As you will see from the above log - there is a certain randomness in the behaviour. The switching between 3G and WiFi is, I think, a bit of a red herring. You can get the same effects by either if these methods:

- switching between WiFi and 3G
- switching WiFi on / off (leaving 3G alone)
- switching 3G on / off (leaving WiFi alone)
- having both WiFi and 3G on and randomly switching either off / on

... at some point you will get a successful connection, which will persist for 1 or more sessions. But at some point there will be a connection failure.

Also once Tonido fails to connect it clears all the fields .. this is VERY annoying.

My thoughts (for what they are worth) :

(a) Save the bloody data ! Don't keep making me re-enter url, userid and pwd every time Tonido has a tantrum. If I want to clear the fields you already have a perfectly good "clear" button.

(b) There is probably some latency / time-out issue with communicating with BOTH WiFi and 3G with the BB - once the initialisation fails, then Tonido gets confused. Rather than throw out a "cannot communicate" error why not flush all buffers and try a re-initialisation/re-connect. This is basically automating the process of me having to switch off WiFi/3G and re-start the service.

For the record I'm on T-Mobile UK with a Torch 9800 (build v6.0.0.600).

Hope this helps.

charindex
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby charindex » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Thank you for your detailed response.

We are trying to reproduce these issues and work on it. We will PM you a private build that you can try out as soon as possible. Thanks.

spartacus
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby spartacus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm having similar issues, but cannot connect at all - despite turning connections on/off etc.

Tonido is running on my plug: login is logged - successfully, but after "getting plugins", I get "unable to connect".

Running Tonido v6.0.0 on BB 9700 v6

charindex
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby charindex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Because of the world wide outages going on with Blackberry, we are facing difficulty and delays in resolving this issue reliably. We will provide an update as soon as possible.

ericcase
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby ericcase » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I can log in with my BB Bold 9000 (OS 5) and Tonido (6.0) on both 3G (AT&T) and Wi Fi, but cannot download files. Images, html, and text files open in the BB browser. Everything else I have tried fails.

I use RepliGo reader Premium Edition (2.1.0.1) to read PDFs, but I cannot download them. The BB browser opens, I am asked to save the file, and then told "Download failed." The files are zero length.

The same happens for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.

charindex
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby charindex » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:30 am

To open Word, excel, PPT files you must have installed app such as documents to go.

However, you must be able to download the file if you use "Download File" from Tonido Menu.

You should not directly click the file. Clicking the file directly will try to open the file for which depending on the file type you must have a supporting software on your phone to view the file.

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”