Review of the Tonido iPhone app posted on MacRumors Forums

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
DanTN
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Review of the Tonido iPhone app posted on MacRumors Forums

Postby DanTN » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Here is a review of the Tonido iPhone app I posted over at the MacRumors forum:

Ok, here are a few of my thoughts about the Tonido ios app.

I think [the app] really is essential for me to use the Tonidoplug since I spend most of my time away from home without access to my computer. I think the functionality is great but the interface (GUI?) needs a little polishing to make the app more intuitive.

Here is what I would change:

1. On the login screen under the "Advanced" tab, the options for "Offline access only" should be "Yes or No" not "On or Off"

2. The "Home" screen should have a "Log Out" button in the upper left side of the screen. As a newbie I didn't know you had to go to the "Settings" screen to log out of the program and return to the first login screen. I think the "Switch" button in the upper right of the "Tonido Settings" screen should be renamed "Log Out".

3. The search bar should always appear by default on every screen. Users can always push it up if they don't want to look at it.

4. Users should be made aware that the search function isn't a global search function. In other words it is not like the "Spotlight" search on a Mac where you can search for every single instance of a word on my whole computer. Somehow you should make users aware that it functions more like a sort button - searching only what is on the current screen and not searching through subfolders. At first I thought there was a bug in the software when it wasn't searching through all of the subfolders.

5. I am not sure what the "x" button does on the music player.

6. One time I couldn't log back in after logging out. The server and passwords fields were greyed out and I couldn't type in them. I had to reboot the phone in order to login.

7. Using the app when the "Offline Access Only" button was turned on is somewhat buggy. When I would go to the "Favorites" or "Download" pages I would sometimes see a microscopic "Download File Not Found" error message in the upper left hand corner. Other times I would see a blank grey screen. It would probably be better to put a message like "Login To Access Favorites" so people don't think the app is malfunctioning.

Other than those minor issues I think this is a fantastic app. It is sort of a simple VNC for people like me who are not tech oriented. I was really impressed how easy this app was to use and thrilled that I can finally access files on my computer when I am away from it.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Review of the Tonido iPhone app posted on MacRumors Foru

Postby rydgaze » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Thank you for your detailed comments. This is the kind of feedback that we can use to refine the app to fit the needs of the users.

1. On the login screen under the "Advanced" tab, the options for "Offline access only" should be "Yes or No" not "On or Off"

Noted. The only thing is, that particular control comes with that as default. I Will see if can change the labels.

2. The "Home" screen should have a "Log Out" button in the upper left side of the screen. As a newbie I didn't know you had to go to the "Settings" screen to log out of the program and return to the first login screen. I think the "Switch" button in the upper right of the "Tonido Settings" screen should be renamed "Log Out".

The reason for doing this is that the top left will always have the back button. But I Think we can show that only on the first screen. The reason it was called "Switch" instead of "Logout" is because there was confusion earlier that it might indicate that you are actually logging out of your profile in your tonido server itself (which you are not).

3. The search bar should always appear by default on every screen. Users can always push it up if they don't want to look at it.

Noted. In fact it was like that and in internal feedback, folks that that the search takes away a bit of the space for content and it was the similar style used in other iphone apps (like contacts etc).

. I am not sure what the "x" button does on the music player.

This is the "Stop" button. If you hit pause, it just pauses the player and restarts where it left. The "Stop" would stop the playback completely etc. We will change the icon to be more traditional looking stop.

One time I couldn't log back in after logging out. The server and passwords fields were greyed out and I couldn't type in them. I had to reboot the phone in order to login.

The only time the password fields get grayed out is when the "Offline only" access button is in "On" position. Looks like we need to clean up this place to avoid confusion.

. Using the app when the "Offline Access Only" button was turned on is somewhat buggy. When I would go to the "Favorites" or "Download" pages I would sometimes see a microscopic "Download File Not Found" error message in the upper left hand corner. Other times I would see a blank grey screen. It would probably be better to put a message like "Login To Access Favorites" so people don't think the app is malfunctioning.

Yes. That "Offilne Access Only" was supposed to be a bypass to allow you to access only the download portion and it doesnt expressly prevent anything else. This was meant for conditions where you have downloaded files and need to access those files without any network access (like airplane etc). AGain, we will streamline this experience.

Users should be made aware that the search function isn't a global search function. In other words it is not like the "Spotlight" search on a Mac where you can search for every single instance of a word on my whole computer. Somehow you should make users aware that it functions more like a sort button - searching only what is on the current screen and not searching through subfolders. At first I thought there was a bug in the software when it wasn't searching through all of the subfolders.

Noted. Yes, it is purely a filter of the current folder's contents and does not drill down (and it becomes quite cumbersome to do that over the network as well). We do have plans to incorporate a full fledged search function as well.

Thanks again for your inputs and we will use them to refine the next revision of this app.

DanTN
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby DanTN » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Quote:
."I am not sure what the "x" button does on the music player"

This is the "Stop" button. If you hit pause, it just pauses the player and restarts where it left. The "Stop" would stop the playback completely etc. We will change the icon to be more traditional looking stop.

Now that I think about it, I had an itunes song playing in the background so when I pushed the "x" nothing happened because Tonido wasn't actually playing anything lol.

"Quote:
One time I couldn't log back in after logging out. The server and passwords fields were greyed out and I couldn't type in them. I had to reboot the phone in order to login."

The only time the password fields get grayed out is when the "Offline only" access button is in "On" position. Looks like we need to clean up this place to avoid confusion.

I think that is why several people in the Appstore reviews down ranked the application. They may have been playing around with the settings and forgot that they were working offline. It would be nice to have some kind of note or status indicator reminding you whether you are online or off line. I do like how the switch and other two fields are hidden behind the advanced view though.

I'm really excited about winning the contest and can't wait for the Tonido plug to arrive. I can't believe more people didn't enter though. The only thing I can think of is that people thought they had to own a Tonidoplug for the iphone app to function or maybe the word "server" scares people away from installing Tonido on their computer. I remember when I first wanted to try Tonido on my Mac I felt intimidated because I was turning my Mac into a "server". I was expecting to spend about an hour trying to get the server to work (port forwarding, command prompts etc.) but was shocked that it just worked after installing the program and logging in.

ericgus
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby ericgus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:01 pm

the search ability really needs to scan sub-directories

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”