Android App Is Available in the Market

Support for Tonido on Mobile including iPhone, Blackberry, Android and mobile devices
madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Android App Is Available in the Market

Postby madhan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm

And your password should be your tonido password not your root's plugadmin password.

innerspace
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby innerspace » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 am

OK.

Thanks for the clarification, I had thought I could allow guest users to access my files using the Android app as if the were using a browser (which would be slick btw), didn't realize that wasn't the intention.

When logging in as follows
http://my.tonidoid.com
user: mytonidoid
pass: mystrongpassword

I still get the same error, however when targeting http://my.tonidoid.com:10001 Great success!

So, I'm not sure why it needs the port but apparently it does.

My initial impressions?

Music App:

Working on internal LAN/Wifi, tracks initially load slowly but playback is ok (ie: no buffer stalls), though the quality seems down-sampled(?). Player benefit from playlist support, shuffle, repeat and support for 'resume' for audio books.

File Viewer:

Attempted to open multiple video formats (wmv, avi, flv, mov), all launched the file viewer, the app said loading and then the screen went white. What file types are supported by the app?

Picture Viewer:

Attempted to open numerous JPEG images, all launch picture viewer, screen is black with a small orange 'flower' that looks like it could be a 'loading wheel' but does nothing.

Camera: Hitting this button only brings up a message asking me to choose a folder to save pictures to. I see no "settings" button, is this set via the tonido dashboard? This seems backwards to me.

SO, aside from music playback (which is great and available in many forms on android ie: orb etc.) I'm a bit disappointed. Am I missing something here? Please clarify.

Warm Regards,
innerspace

gumbo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby gumbo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Thank you for your feedback. We are still evolving the app. Your feedback is invaluable..

File Viewer:
mpeg4 is the only format we support currently.. We will add an error message for other formats..
If you have pdf reader, quick office apps, you should be able to open other files in your plug (such as pdf, docx, xls.)

Sharing:
By clicking on share icon next to file or folder, you can share (Tonido app sends an email with link to the folder) the folder with your friends. Tonido is only app that lets you share files in seconds without uploading the files..

Picture Viewer:

Instead of sending the whole picture, Tonido crunches it into smaller thumbnails. Once Tonido creates a thumbnail, subsequent access will be extremely fast. It will be slow (black screen with spinner) for the first time since plug is crunching photos into thumbnails...
BTW, If users are accessing Tonido that is running on a power CPU (running in laptops) , thumbnails will be generated faster hence users will not experience the latency when loading for first time.

Camera: Given the variations in the phone, camera feature has been giving inconsistent results.. we are working on fixing the feature.

tonido4umadmin
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby tonido4umadmin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi innerspace,

It is our first iteration of Android app. What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. More to come in future :)

innerspace
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby innerspace » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Some thoughts:

Music viewer:

My thoughts here remain the same as in my previous post... while the player works (and I have yet to test it over 3g) it is lacking many fundamental capabilities ie: playlists, shuffle, random etc. I appreciate the inclusion of FLAC and other file formats so thanks for that. One thought on buffering: I've never seen a streaming media player be able to "pre-buffer" the next track, meaning that the initial load of track one is slow (read long pause), playback of track one is great but then playback of track 2 forces you to wait for however long while the track is queued before audio is passed. Is it possible to have the app look ahead during the playback of track one, identify the next track and immediately start buffering while playback of track1 is still playing? IMO this would set your app apart from all the others by leaps and bounds, providing a seamless streaming experience which as of now no competitor can match.

File Viewer:

Android out-of-the-box supports mp4 and h264, I believe adding h264 would be prudent as many android users convert files specifically for playback on their devices. Keeping pace (or outpacing!) with Android would be wise, especially as Android tablets hit the market widely in 2011. There is yet to be a video player on Android that matches the capabilities of PCs. Initially this was due to hardware limitations, with the advent of the gen2 Qualcomm chips (like the G2 has) I imagine the doors will swing wide, taking advantage of this capability would set Tonido's suite apart from the competition, making it a true personal cloud/content delivery system. As consumer bandwidth widens the demand for such capabilities will be huge.

Picture Viewer:

Unfortunately, none of the JPEGS I viewed ever made it to my device. While they were all large in file size (original images from a DSLR) the experience was lacking. If indeed the plug was chomping away at the images, downsizing them on the fly, clearer indications of that process' progress would be wise. I honestly was left with the impression that this portion of the app did not work at all... discouraging. Might I suggest adding an option to the plug's dashboard for automatic thumbnail creation? Or possibly some sort of talkback between the android app and the plug, letting the plug know that it has a capable mobile device logging into it? It seems to me that downsized images should be created on the fly but that thumbnails could be processed when the media is initially added to the plug's storage.

Camera:

There are many apps on the market that leverage the Android camera for their own purposes. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I'd advise utilizing the camera capabilities within Android for your own purposes. Make the Tonido App invoke the Android Camera app, snap a pic or take a video and then utilize the "share" feature within the Android gallery system. You should be able to add an "Upload to Tonidoplug" option to the list of available options within the share dialog fairly easily. This would likely save your team time and energy and would allow for tighter integration with the core Android experience.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, I will continue to explore the application and give feedback.

On a final note (and I cannot stress this enough) documentation seems lacking for this app. Many of my initial impressions were negative, likely due to my expectations far exceeding the capabilities of the app. I'd recommend creating a page @tonido.com that details the capabilities of the TP App on each platform. I'd like to see this on the plug's main website rather than the forums or the wiki. This info should be in plain view, doing so would likely save your staff time in the form of unnecessary forum responses.

Also - I am uncertain if your team is aware of them or not so I'll just throw this out there... the community at xda-developers.com have been extremely helpful in the creation of many of my favorite Android apps. Posting in a few of their more popular Android forums (G1, Nexus One, etc) would gain you much exposure, both to consumers and a talented development community that is known for embracing good ideas openly.

Warm Regards,

innerspace

ByteHeaven
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby ByteHeaven » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:22 am

Just a question, is this a bug or somekind of feature?

I allready even uninstalled and reinstalled android app, but still cannot login, android app just tells me "Error Profile already logged in. Failed to Login"

And I am quite confused?

- Either, does this mean that if I have logged in at ANY computer I cannot login from mobile?
- Or does the app somehow remembers the old login, with different account to the same address and cannot login again and be reseted even with uninstall?
- Or is there some nasty bug at lates version?

Some background data:

I had my plug on warranty replacement, so I had software on my PC so long. I had logged in with profile X to tonido at my PC (with exactly the same address:
myhomename.mydomain:10001) as now to the plug (my firewall just forwards the port 10001 to correct device).

Now when I try with profilename Y (newone for new plug) to the same address I just get the error and cannot login?

If there is some cached information which does not go off even with uninstall in my Android please tell what to delete (yes I have file explorer that can go root).

Option 2: I started to use https with plug again, is there bug/not implemented feature with Android app to connect with https?

tonido4umadmin
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby tonido4umadmin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:19 am

Hi Inner space,

Thanks for your time and a detailed feedback. I agree with every one of your suggestions.

Expect to see most of your suggestions implemented in our next major android release

gumbo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby gumbo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm

I have replied to your questions in the "Profile Already Logged In" thread. Can you pl post your comments in that thead? It will help other users as well..

ByteHeaven wrote:Just a question, is this a bug or somekind of feature?

I allready even uninstalled and reinstalled android app, but still cannot login, android app just tells me "Error Profile already logged in. Failed to Login"

And I am quite confused?

- Either, does this mean that if I have logged in at ANY computer I cannot login from mobile?
- Or does the app somehow remembers the old login, with different account to the same address and cannot login again and be reseted even with uninstall?
- Or is there some nasty bug at lates version?

Some background data:

I had my plug on warranty replacement, so I had software on my PC so long. I had logged in with profile X to tonido at my PC (with exactly the same address:
myhomename.mydomain:10001) as now to the plug (my firewall just forwards the port 10001 to correct device).

Now when I try with profilename Y (newone for new plug) to the same address I just get the error and cannot login?

If there is some cached information which does not go off even with uninstall in my Android please tell what to delete (yes I have file explorer that can go root).

Option 2: I started to use https with plug again, is there bug/not implemented feature with Android app to connect with https?

moelli
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby moelli » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Hello,

I think I've found a bug inside the android app. If a folder name contains a German Umlaut (ö, ä, ü), then the folder content won't show up.

gumbo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby gumbo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:01 am

moelli wrote:Hello,

I think I've found a bug inside the android app. If a folder name contains a German Umlaut (ö, ä, ü), then the folder content won't show up.

Thank you for posting it. We will look into it and add support for international characters.

Return to “Tonido on Mobile”