Postby Tuxedo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Here are the steps for mounting a windows share on the TonidoPlug
1. Install samba client/filesystem on the TonidoPlug

Code: Select all

# mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
# sudo apt-get install smbfs

2. Mount the remote windows share on the TonidoPlug

mount -t smbfs //<Windows Machine IP>/<Share Name> /path/to/mount -o username=<username>,password=<password>

3. To automatically mount the windows share on the TonidoPlug everytime the plug boots

//<Windows Machine IP>/<Share Name>  /path/to/mount    smbfs   username=<username>,password=<password> 0     0

generic_idea_machine
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Re: Mount Windows Share On TonidoPlug

Postby generic_idea_machine » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:32 pm

kewl

thx

ByteHeaven
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby ByteHeaven » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Ok, maybe I could add this here too, while looked after to get things working. If you want to have mounted share working with international letters in filenames (for example with Jukebox and Webshare pro) use this line instead in the fstab

//<Windows Machine IP>/<Share Name>  /path/to/mount    smbfs   username=<username>,password=<password>,iocharset=utf8 0     0

tanjun
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby tanjun » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm

I cannot for the life of me get this smbfs mounting to work from the plug between 1.x and 2.x network subnets. I can ping everything between back and forth fine, but the mounting just doesn't want to take.

Any suggestions?

Much obliged.

Also, is there a way to shelter the share to only a certain specified user or users?

tanjun
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby tanjun » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

So I am relyping to my own post, but I was able to glean more info due to my setup which inturn leaves me with just more questions.

Apparently, as per the following link, samba/smbfs and my Windows Server 2003 box don't talk the same talk.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

I've searched the forums for cifs information, but nothing spectacular shows up. I don't have any issue in attempting what the link above shows (I assume all the steps need to be performed in the order shown), but don't want to make more trouble for myself if there's a simpler/alternate way.

This Tonido post shows an interest in the cifs issue, but nothing was resolved as far as I can tell
http://www.tonido.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=255&p=1249&hilit=cifs#p1249

Without this connection, I'm unable to use the jukebox as intended. Big bummer.

Thanks for any time spent.

bigbanghq
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bigbanghq » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 am

OK, can someone turn this into English for a non-Linux/non-guru type to try and accomplish? Am I right in thinking that 'mounting a Windows share' would mean I could make drives/directories on my main PC accessible (if the PC is on) via the Tonidoplug file explorer?

I have no clue about shell access and all that jazz, so is there any way for a non-techie to acheive this?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
In case you were wondering, that picture is the original Plug:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bash_Street_Kids

tanjun
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby tanjun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 am

bigbanghq - This is what I have been able to make work as I am a non-guru as well. I am replying because I like the concept of the plug, feel that there is value within it (although I have yet to realize it in practice) and have spent a re-gosh-darn-diculous amount of time deciphering this as a non-guru like yourself. This is single-shot dose of help, as beyond this, hopefully other more knowledgeable people could help you further.

Step 1 - Download Putty and run it (I ignore/click through the security warning). Use the ip address that you are looking to connect to in Host then click Open - I leave everything else alone.

Step 2 - I use root as the "login as:" name and then the password I use to enter the Tonido plug admin (not the password for your dashboard).

Step 3 - I cut and paste (copy as per normal in windows and right click once at the prompt to paste in Putty) the following command at the pound/number sign. You'll have to modify the italicized portions (and others shone below) for you own use. I've found that the spacing and slash types all have different meanings so if it doesn't work on the first shot, check your "syntax/spelling".

mount -t cifs //192.168.3.?/[i]drive letter on the machine you want to connect to[/i]$/folder/subfolder/1 -o user=[i]your username[/i],pass=[i]your password[/i]

like this

mount -t cifs //192.168.3.25/h$/99\ media/music /1 -o user=admin,pass=password

yours without the number in the path may look like this

mount -t cifs //192.168.3.25/h$/media/music /1 -o user=admin,pass=password

Step 4 - not required, but "exit" sans quotes will close out the Putty session.

Notes for code string:
The question mark implies the ip address that you are trying to connect to. Change the whole thing, obviously, as needed.
"Folder/subfolder is the typical path of folders you're trying to share.
I have tried desperately to get this line of code to "stick" and have it mount every time that the plug resets to no avail. I've asked/posted a few times with no simple response. If you find an answer, please do tell. So you'll need to re-do this process evey time that you want to connect after a plug restart.
The connection to your windows machine, if all works, will be near instantaneous as per my experience - broken links in the music player will be restored as well - and life will seem a bit brighter.

FYI: I have a number in my path so numbers are expressed like this (space after the backslash inlcuded) 99\ media/music

I wish you luck.

bigbanghq
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby bigbanghq » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks Tanjun, I will give that a go once my other more pressing basic plug issues are solved - and I'll let you know how I get on!
I have to agree, the whole 'plug idea' is a great one, which is why I'm still pursuing it too, but at the moment 'time eaten:benefits gained' ratio is not looking good. If I'm having this much trouble with Windows, I can't wait till I start trying remote access via an Android phone :) !
In case you were wondering, that picture is the original Plug:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bash_Street_Kids

pprevos
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby pprevos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:05 pm

This method does not work on th enew plug version. Can't install smbfs due to repository issues.

Can this be fixed please?

Regards

Peter

Tuxedo wrote:Here are the steps for mounting a windows share on the TonidoPlug
1. Install samba client/filesystem on the TonidoPlug

# mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
# sudo apt-get install smbfs

2. Mount the remote windows share on the TonidoPlug

mount -t smbfs //<Windows Machine IP>/<Share Name> /path/to/mount -o username=<username>,password=<password>

3. To automatically mount the windows share on the TonidoPlug everytime the plug boots

//<Windows Machine IP>/<Share Name>  /path/to/mount    smbfs   username=<username>,password=<password> 0     0

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 pm

pprevos wrote:This method does not work on th enew plug version. Can't install smbfs due to repository issues.

Are you using a Plug v1 or a Plug v2?

I just tried it on my TP v2 and it worked fine. If you have a TP v1 and you are having repository issues, please see this thread. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4512

If you have TP2 and you having repository issues, please post your error here.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”