Purchasing replacement HDD Bay Cover??

Support for your TonidoPlug
3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Purchasing replacement HDD Bay Cover??

Postby 3wheels1life » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Codelathe,

Due to the fact that the TP2 tends to get hot, especially with a hard drive installed, I came up with an idea: to cut a hole and mount a small USB powered fan on the plastic cover which covers the TP2's internal hard drive bay.

The fan would have a USB passthrough so the USB port could still be used for other devices.

Would you be willing to sell me a replacement plastic cover only so I could try this?
You can PM me about this if you'd like.

Thanks.

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Purchasing replacement HDD Bay Cover??

Postby madhan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Neat idea, but we are running low on TP2 stock, so we don't have any extra covers hanging around. So it is not that we don't want to get you a cover, we don't have any extras.

3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby 3wheels1life » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 am

madhan,

Do you have any idea when you would have a cover to sell?

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 am

Our TonidoPlug2 are going to go out of stock and I don't have a good visibility on the re-availability yet.

3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby 3wheels1life » Fri May 09, 2014 12:17 am

madhan,

Thanks for the info. I did find a solution to the overheating problem with no modification to my TP2 or removing the internal SATA drive.

To cool my TonidoPlug2, I purchased a USB computer fan off eBay that was a slightly smaller diameter than the TP2 (see link below for the specific fan I purchased). I didn't fold out the arms on the fan. I then placed the TonidoPlug2 flat (so the greatest surface area is facing up) on top of the fan and plugged the fan into a separately powered USB hub. Because the fan itself has a slightly greater diameter (about 0.5 in) than the TonidoPlug2, there is enough ventilation. The fan also has a built-in blue LED which matches the LED on my USB hub and my TP2.

Now, my TP2 doesn't get hot at all, just slightly warm (before, with the SATA drive installed, I could barely hold it). The fan is currently on 24/7 and I have a 5400 RPM laptop hard drive installed in the SATA bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-Mini-Foldable-Laptop-Cooling-Fan-Green-7-14-/290595059802?pt=US_Laptop_Cooling_Pads&hash=item43a8d0b85a

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am

interesting idea.. you might want to post a picture of your setup as well for other users..

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”