Hard hang of tonidoconsole, web admin, ps

Support for your TonidoPlug
spopejoy
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Hard hang of tonidoconsole, web admin, ps

Postby spopejoy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm trying to migrate to internal SATA in order to be able to install more software on the tonido plug. However I've repeatedly ran into a problem that I can't find any clues about on the forums or web.

I've followed the instructions on http://www.tonido.com/communitywiki/dok ... es:usbboot to the letter. Everything comes up fine and then this problem will emerge, usually manifesting as the web interface freezing and never loading (never timing out either, my browser is still spinning in "Connecting ..." after 20 minutes).

More mysterious: "ps -ef" will hang too once the problem occurs.

Interestingly, the ps problem seems to be related to trying to print out the full command of the hung process. Once I stopped using "-f" I was able to ps all processes. Using "top" with or without the command I found what the bad process is: tonidoconsole.

'wchan' on the process is simply 'wait'. The process is unkillable. Killing it's parent process doesn't help.

I thought maybe the issue was a bad drive in the SATA. So I used a different drive. Problem occurs again, usually within 5-10 minutes after a reboot.

Rebooting is usually unsuccessful, requiring hardware restart.

Reverting to NAND always works. But needless to say this shouldn't be happening. PLEASE HELP!!

Uname output:

Code: Select all

Linux TonidoPlug2 2.6.31.8-topkick1281p2-001-004-20101214 #1 Thu Jun 16 10:06:20 CST 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Other details: using a USB Nexstar NAS, no RAID, just as two large volumes. I use this as well with NAND operation, works great. df -h output:

Code: Select all

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                 251M     0  251M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M   32K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 251M  4.0K  251M   1% /dev/shm
rootfs                111G  572M  104G   1% /
/dev/sdb1             1.8T  130G  1.6T   8% /nexstar
/dev/sdc1             1.8T  138G  1.6T   8% /backup

Thanks,
Stuart

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Hard hang of tonidoconsole, web admin, ps

Postby Tuxedo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi Stuart,
It could be possible that the SATA disk that you are using goes into a power save mode.
If this is the case, OS will not control it automatically.
You need to force stop the power save mode.
Google for more info on the hdparm command.
I remember doing something like "hdparm -Z /dev/sda" when I had to disable power save mode on my seagate laptop hdd.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”