[WIP]Weekend Project 2: Other OSes on TonidoPlug Through USB

Support for your TonidoPlug
mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

[WIP]Weekend Project 2: Other OSes on TonidoPlug Through USB

Postby mikestaszel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:14 pm

As you might know, the TonidoPlug can boot from a USB drive to allow you more space for development/Ubuntu space.

Well this 2nd "Weekend Project" will be writing a guide on loading other operating systems on the TonidoPlug, just by exracting it to a USB drive and booting the TonidoPlug from it. Planned operating systems include PlugBox Linux (hehe), Debian, and Gentoo.

I'll be using this forum to document progress. Others are welcome to post their experiences (has this been done already?).

mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Re: [WIP]Weekend Project 2: Other OSes on TonidoPlug Through USB

Postby mikestaszel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 pm

I initially had problems loading Linux from a USB drive (wow, I forgot to put in a uImage kernel...), but now, PlugBox Linux boots well (and any other Plug Computer Linux distro should).

Before the link, I'd like to thank Tonido for making booting from USB so simple and versatile. Much better than even the Sheevaplug! Just put a rootfs, kernel, and modules on a USB drive and you're set!

Here's the guide for installing PlugBox, but you can just replace a Debian, Ubuntu, or other Linux rootfs file and run the guide just as well:

http://plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Ge ... TonidoPlug

knireis
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby knireis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:09 pm

It is nice to be able to run different OS on the plug, but be aware that Tonido is supported only on Ubuntu. I run Tonido on Debian, and in general it runs fine but there are things that don't work. Like the Torrent and Thots plugins, also uploading to webshare via the webshare uploader does not work.
For other OS there might be different issues.

moulari
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby moulari » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:59 am

hi, can you point me to a suitable debian rootfs? I tried Plugbox but not so happy with it

knireis
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby knireis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 am

moulari wrote:hi, can you point me to a suitable debian rootfs? I tried Plugbox but not so happy with it

look here: squeezeplug.de

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”