Tip: How To Enable Tonido On USB Booted TonidoPlug

Support for your TonidoPlug
Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Tip: How To Enable Tonido On USB Booted TonidoPlug

Postby Tuxedo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:51 am

Introduction:
With the latest Tonido update (v0.5), TonidoPlug has an added restriction on how it functions. In order to prevent the internal flash from getting full, it is necessary to have an USB drive always attached to the TonidoPlug. If the USB drive is unplugged, all Tonido applications gets suspended and you will need to restart the plug with an USB drive to get it function normally.
Problem:
If you have TonidoPlug booting on a USB drive (or you accept the risk of internal flash getting full :P ), then you might face the issue of Tonido applications getting suspended.
Solution:
You can create a file under plugscripts directory to bypass the USB drive presence check.
Assuming you have Tonido installation under /root/app/tonido, run the following command to bypass the USB drive check:

Code: Select all

# touch /root/app/tonido/plugscripts/IGNOREDATADIR

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Tip: How To Enable Tonido On USB Booted TonidoPlug

Postby RaiD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 am

I have followed the above instructions but I receive an error that says "Setup User Data directory to use external disk" on the HOME tab below my profile name. I am booting directly off of an external usb drive which has been working great (followed the instructions from the sticky'd post). All of the applications are enabled and working except the Photo Gallery which reports in the log "Tonido Photos suspended because User Data directory is set to TonidoPlug flash directory. Please change User Data directory in Profile Settings to other device (e.g. USB disk)."

My profile directory under the SETTINGS | PROFILE tab is "approot/profiles/myprofilename" and user data directory is "approot/profiles/myprofilename/userdata".

Doesn't my "flash directory" become my usb drive when it becomes the boot device? In the /root/app/tonido/plugscripts directory there is an empty "IGNOREDATADIR" file present.

root@tonido:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 111G 7.9G 97G 8% /
tmpfs 251M 0 251M 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 251M 232K 251M 1% /var/run
varlock 251M 0 251M 0% /var/lock
udev 251M 16K 251M 1% /dev
tmpfs 251M 0 251M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 251M 0 251M 0% /var/cache/apt

Thanks!
Ryan

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Unfortunately the software expects that the user data directory is not "approot/profiles/myprofilename/userdata" but is something else.

So you need to set it to a different path say "/data/tonido/userdata"

You can also create a symbolic link and point to the existing userdata directory and then make the user data directory point to the symbolic link.

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby RaiD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.

"approot/profiles/myprofilename/userdata" was created by default, how is it that the software doesn't expect to see it there? Because it was technically stored on the flash drive before I copied that content to the usb drive to boot off of it? Is this a form of flash drive overfilling protection or something?

I guess the reason I'm concerned with moving it because several apps (photos, torrent, websharepro, workspace) have directories and files located there, how would they know where to look otherwise for their .db files and such? Which also leads me to ask why those apps don't have a problem with the user data directory being there when the photo gallery does?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions! :)

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Is this a form of flash drive overfilling protection or something?

Exactly. Tonido is designed to run off the flash drive and we go to great pain to make sure people don't fill it with data. So when you boot it off a USB HD it is not a regular situation. That is why you need this workaround.

As I suggest, if you create a symbolic link and just point to your existing directory and then point user data to your symbolic link, nothing will move around and all your data will be safe.

RaiD
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby RaiD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm

I guess I wasn't aware that this extra step was required for usb booting, but it does make sense. Thank you for your suggestion. I created a symbolic link using the following command and it appears to be working fine:

Code: Select all

# ln -s /approot/profiles/myprofilename/userdata /media/usb0/profiles/myprofilename/

edit: also changed my userdata directory in my profile to match the symlink destination of "/media/usb0/profiles/myprofilename/"

txporter
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby txporter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 am

Can I simply copy my /approot/profiles/myprofilename/userdata directory to /media/usb0/profiles/myprofilename/ rather than creating a symbolic link? Does this break anything? I assume that I could then delete the profile data under /approot.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”