Sharing Music from a Tonidoplug to a Roku

Support for your TonidoPlug
sflinux
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Sharing Music from a Tonidoplug to a Roku

Postby sflinux » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

I just got a Roku-XS and wanted to be able to play my local network music on it. Roku is really meant for cloud applications. I got the XS model because it has a USB connection, from which you can play Movies and Music directly using the USB Channel. The limitation is it will only mount, FAT, NTFS, and HFS file systems, no EXT3/4. For watching home movies, mounting a USB drive is the best option on the ROKU-XS. I do recommend the Plex channel for Roku, as it adds a lot more content to the Roku (hulu, youtube, etc). The downside to Plex is you need a powerful computer to serve the content.
For my home network, my music is stored on a USB hard drive connected to a USB hub into my tonidoplugV1 (EXT4 file system). I have flac and mp3s which are shared by samba for desktop pcs. I like to use COG on a mac, and audacious or rhymbox on linux. There is a private channel on the ROKU, which will let you play music (and videos) from a local network, which is called MyMedia. The website is here:
http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_server/
I was able to install this software on my tonidoV1 plug which is running debian squeeze on a USB thumb drive (from within a chroot jail). The only hiccup I had was that the software (python) doesn't like file names with non alphanumberic characters (e.x. { [ } ] ... etc). And because I was using English as my native language in debian, the software doesn't like file names with non english characters. My Mp3 directory kept showing up as empty. I just checked each subdirectory until I confirmed that each of them had proper file names, then the software worked as expected.
The ROKU is limited to common file types like mp4 for video, and mp3 for audio.
I have only tested mp3s with mymedia on the tonidoplug (have not tested videos yet).
I still have to use a desktop pc if I want to listen to flac files. I believe the Plexapp will do this, but there will be transcoding involved, so I'm not sure the arm processor will be up to specs.

I had a Samsung smart Bluray player, but the processing speed of the Roku seems to be snappier, and the user interface is better.

I don't advocate buying a Roku, but I do like getting away from DVD,CD, and Bluray media. They are much to fragile imo. I much prefer storing MP4s, Mp3s, and flacs on hard drives. I just went on vacation and brought the Roku and a USB hard drive and was able to watch hours of movies, when plugged into a TV, thanks to the USB Channel.

Anyone else connecting their tonidoplug to a Roku? I don't believe the tonido apps will stream to a Roku, is this correct? (I haven't tried).

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Sharing Music from a Tonidoplug to a Roku

Postby madhan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:39 pm

cool to know, thanks for sharing. We have been thinking for a while on writing a Tonido channel on the Roku if there is enough interest.

zoonido
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby zoonido » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 pm

+1 to a Tonido Roku channel

smilejack1
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby smilejack1 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I would kill for a Roku Channel!

seancojr
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby seancojr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Great idea. I'm actually surprised to see that there hasn't already been a Roku channel released for this, considering the growing popularity of Roku devices and the usefulness of a TonidoPlug as a home media server.

baron
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby baron » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:02 am

A Roku channel? YES PLEASE!!!

3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby 3wheels1life » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Hello,
I would also like to request a Roku or Boxee channel which can stream audio and video media over a LAN or WAN from the TonidoPlug2 Device.

-3wheels1life

:mrb
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby :mrb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm not sure if this is useful, but I run Plex on my Linux workstation and loaded the Plex Roku app on my Roku 3, and have rather good results. My Roku is hard wired to the LAN, btw.

But I have observed that if I use the latest version of the Roku Media Player from the channel store, I can see my Tonidoplug2 when searching for Music or Video. So I'm guessing they may have added some DLNA bits to their app.

Since I didn't know anybody else with a set up like mine, I haven't had anything to compare it with, so ymmv.

I hope that helps somebody.
thx,
:mrb

morty
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby morty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:36 am

I just wanted to voice my support for a Roku channel. I think Roku and Tonido plug would be a nice match.

-M

phireph0x
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby phireph0x » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am

You can add another vote of support for the Roku channel. I would love to see this!

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”