spin down USB disks when idle

Support for your TonidoPlug
dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

spin down USB disks when idle

Postby dongadoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm

I just noticed that the USB drive connected to my TonidoPlug does not spin down when idle. It's still warm and vibrating after no access to the TonidoPlug for over 24 hours. Not only does this waste electricity; but, even worse, it puts excessive wear on the drive, causing early failure. Personal hard drives are not meant to run constantly.

My TonidoPlug will sit idle most of the time, coming to life occasionally for backups, and sharing music and photos.

What can I do to spin down the disks when they're not in use?

devbloke
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: spin down USB disks when idle

Postby devbloke » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Are you using a Seagate hard drive?

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Yes, a Seagate 5400RPM SATA II disk in a generic USB2 enclosure.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi,

Do you by any chance have setup a photo share using Tonido Photos plugin? Photos application in linux version polls for changes in the shared directory.

Thanks

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:59 pm

No, I haven't really played with the Tonido apps yet. Nothing setup for photos, music, or webshare. The polling is something to keep in mind when I do want to add the shares. I've only tried accessing the drive from Windows machines on the network.

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Because someone asked about the disk drive brand (Seagate), I decided to try another USB drive. But it did not spin down either. This other USB drive was bought as one unit rather than a separate disk and enclosure like the Seagate. I opened up enclosure and found a Hitachi HTS54 60GB 5400RPM ATA/IDA drive inside.

I read some info on the web but I can't get a handle on the situation. Some say it's a disk problem, some an enclosure problem, some an OS problem. I read about a few people who wrote an program or shell script for Linux to force a drive to go on standby when idle. For all I know, I just need to change a few settings on my TonidoPlug to get the USB drive to spin down automatically after some period of inactivity.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Unfortunately, that is a correct analysis of the issue.

There are some drives that won't go into low-power mode with Linux unless you fiddle with their settings and there are other drives that once they go into low-power mode won't recover correctly.

drums4all
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby drums4all » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm not quite clear on this...

If I have the plug always on, as it seems designed to be, and a usb-powered hdd connected - will it always spin? It seems to be doing just that -- I'm using an apricorn portable hdd:
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=23 that I had been using for backups. Somehow I just don't feel comfortable leaving it attached and spinning 24/7.

Is there a make of hdd that I should be using instead, or is it really better to use a flash drive, despite the stated option to use either an external hdd or flash? What am I missing?

Thanks.

knireis
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby knireis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:27 am

I think i read that the WD external disks do spin down after a certain amount of minutes of inactivity. Maybe you can search around a little or contact WD. Please report back your findings, they might be of interest to other users.

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 am

drums4all wrote:...or is it really better to use a flash drive...

That's what I ended up doing - at least for now. I bought a 64GB flash drive and leave it plugged in all the time. 64GB is enough for sharing photos and music, but not enough for backups or video.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”