How to build a tonidoplug2 kernel

Support for your TonidoPlug
Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: How to build a tonidoplug2 kernel

Postby Tuxedo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 am

The kernel source is from the hardware vendor and they've made some changes to the kernel to make it work with their hardware.

noidea
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby noidea » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Tuxedo wrote:The kernel source is from the hardware vendor and they've made some changes to the kernel to make it work with their hardware.

Ahhh :(((( is there anyway to request to them that they provide a more up to date kernel? I'm sure I'm not the only one needing a newer one. It doesn't have to be the latest greatest, just at least 2.6.32

thanks for your reply!

WarheadsSE
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Sorry I am late to the party, but how about 3.1.10?

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... core/linux

That has the build scripts, configs & patches needed to build our kernel entirely, and are easily modifiable to bring the kernel all the way to 3.4, even 3.5 without DTS

wirelessfrankie
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby wirelessfrankie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 am

The last step in the explaination doesn't work for me:

scp ../current_kernel/lib/modules/ root@tp2:/media/disk1part1/lib/

I get:
root@debian:/tonido/kernel-2.6.31# scp ../current_kernel/lib/modules/ root@192.168.1.146:/media/disk9part1/lib/
root@192.168.1.146's password:
../current_kernel/lib/modules: not a regular file

The previous statement works without a hitch.

Please advice :?:

apenngrace
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby apenngrace » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 pm

zenroth wrote:Hi,
It started going wrong from this point:
root@TonidoPlug2:/newkernel/kernel-2.6.31# make uImage

/opt/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-gcc: 1:EL4X4: not found
/opt/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-gcc: 2: Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting ")")
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
/opt/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-gcc: 1:EL4X4: not found
/opt/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-marvell-linux-gnueabi-gcc: 2: Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting ")")

I was getting the same error. After hours of researching, turns out that it has to do with that I am using a 64-bit linux OS install and apparently these scripts rely on the 32-bit libraries being installed. Bash will give the unhelpful "file not found" error even though the file exists.

I found the fix to this on this page: http://superuser.com/questions/344533/n ... ile-exists

I'm not an expert, so maybe I didn't need to install as much as I did... but I installed these and it worked:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libc6-i386

Aleks
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Aleks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 am

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the OP and subsequent posters. I managed to cross compile compile 3.11.4 and got debian wheezy running on my TP2. My main motivation was that there isn't an armel version of php5-fpm officially available for squeeze and I had difficulty making the one I compiled work. I found some useful sites along the way which helped me out enormously.

The first is https://sites.google.com/site/armtechie2017/home/tonido-plug-2 which has kernel patches and config file for the TP2. If you read these sir, very helpful.

The second is http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096 where I got the rootfs from (I did try to build my own with debootstrap but had numerous difficulties). It should be noted that the rootfs from doozan.com wouldn't boot by itself, although the kernel (3.11.1) loaded it couldn't mount the rootfs. I only got it to boot when I copied my new kernel across to it and replace the uImage. I also commented out the default instructions in the fstab and fw_env.config files, I didn't really know what I was doing here but I took guidance from the files on the standard tonido rootfs and seemed to work.

It's taken three days of intensive googling to get there so I thought I'd share.

Aleks

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”