Anybody successfully build an updated kernel for Tonido2?

Support for your TonidoPlug
Paladine
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Anybody successfully build an updated kernel for Tonido2?

Postby Paladine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I've built a kernel from the various online sources. It builds fine but when I install it and execute it, it hangs on 'Booting the kernel'

Has anybody had success updating the kernel and did they have to do anything special to u-boot in order to get it to work?

royal65
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Anybody successfully build an updated kernel for Tonido2

Postby royal65 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I have been trying to compile a custom kernel, but with no luck. They all compile correctly but none of them will boot. I think the problem is the tonido2plug is running an old version of uboot, U-Boot 1.1.4 (Sep 13 2011 - 13:25:05) Marvell version: 3.4.27.

All the guides i find for sheeva/guru plugs for compiling the kernel have procedures for updating Uboot to newer versions. Without the new Uboot version none of the custom compiled kernels will boot on the sheeva/guru plugs.

maybe we could ask the support team on how to update to a new version of Uboot?

royal65
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby royal65 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 pm

I was wrong, you can use the current version of Uboot to boot a newer kernel. I compiled the 3.1.0 kernel and now have it running. There are 2 issues i see right away, the mtd flash partitions are not mapped correctly, and the program to control the LEDs doesn't work correctly. I don't know if the tonido software functions correctly, since I don't use it at all. I am using the plug to learn about embedded systems, not for the purpose it was designed.

The new kernel can't be installed on the internal flash at this time, because it incorrectly maps the mtd flash partitions. I am currently running the system off a USB flash drive. I also created a new rootfs using a procedure I found for a dockstar system, http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,5986,5986. The system is very basic right now, and upon boot only uses 17mb of ram.

this is the sequence i used to make the kernel on the tonido2 plug itself. I modifed the kernel config as needed:
make kirkwood_defconfig; make menuconfig; make uImage; make modules; make modules_install

the key to getting the system to boot with the new kernel is to change a few Uboot environment variables. If mainlineLinux variable set to yes the original topkick1281p2-001-006-20101103 kernel WILL NOT BOOT. If you are going to change either of these variables I would make sure you have serial access to the console. Trying to boot a new kernel without serial access is very foolish. There are so many things that can go wrong and make your system non-bootable. There is a sticky in the forums on how to gain console access. I purchased a USB to UART serial converter off ebay for $5.

uboot variables needed to boot new kernel
arcNumber=2097
mainlineLinux=yes

uboot variable need to boot topkick1281p2-001-006-20101103 kernel
mainlineLinux=no

usaplanb
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby usaplanb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Would it be feasible for you to create a rootfs or image of your kernel? I'm trying to get sound on the current kernel and I'm having difficulty so it may be easier to start with something from scratch.

royal65
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby royal65 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm

I don't think the kernel shipped with the tonido2 has sound options compiled it. You can compile the topkick128 kernel as the sources have been recently released. The kernel source i used I download from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/

usaplanb
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby usaplanb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I've tried using the newly available kernel sources that were posted on another thread, but I'm running into problems when trying to compile the Alsa drivers manually (some files are missing from the source folder).
Not sure how to go about building a new source from scratch... do I need a Linux PC to do this?

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:27 pm

usaplanb wrote:Would it be feasible for you to create a rootfs or image of your kernel? I'm trying to get sound on the current kernel and I'm having difficulty so it may be easier to start with something from scratch.

Have you tried the Debian Alsa packages?

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Got the topkick kernel rebuilt and playing audio with dealing with u-boot. Will doc later this week. Listening as I type.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”