Can I install a different Linux distro on TonidoPlug 2?

Support for your TonidoPlug
__B__
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Can I install a different Linux distro on TonidoPlug 2?

Postby __B__ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 am

I have an old server using Ubuntu Server at home, with already some scripts an a structure I'm already familiar with.

I looked into TonidoPlug2 and readlly liked it's small size and energy savings factor, and thought if it would be possible to use it with an bare bones Ubuntu installation from scratch, or if do I need to use it with all Tonido software.

Thanks!

Paladine
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Re: Can I install a different Linux distro on TonidoPlug 2?

Postby Paladine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 pm

You can install whatever you want. Tonido provides a rootfs with debian squeeze that you can install on a USB/SATA drive and then boot from that. From there you can edit the distro as you see fit. I've disabled the tonido software on my device and just run my own stuff.

It'll be up to you to figure out how to get ubuntu to run, but I'd imagine you'd have to copy the files over and then manually install the kernel/modules on the drive.

__B__
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby __B__ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Hum, I have seen about this topic: http://www.tonido.com/support/display/d ... +USB+Drive

Thanks for answering. I was thinking actually about messing up with the internal flash (but having it saved somewhere if something goes wrong), even know it voids the warranty. Anyone tried something like this?

EDIT: If you can boot from an internal hd, so in theory I could install a different distro. I think I'm going to focus on that, and search the forums for this.

martytng
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby martytng » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm

I am a total linux noob.

Does this thread mean that it is possible to install a lightweight version of Linux with a GUI on top? I'd be very interested in trying that out as I am still scared of a non-DOS command prompt!

Devr
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby Devr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 am

I am actually searching the forum to see if others have been successful at installing a different distro.

I have made a couple attempts with a distro that is using a 3.1.1... kernel. Also I have made a serial cable so I can debug issues as I attempt to do this..

So far I can boot a different kernel if I am booting from USB. No luck when trying to boot from the internal SATA drive. Nor when booted from USB, does the device see my SATA drive.

Seems the driver changed names in the kernel, use to be mvSata, now it is sata_mv. but seems it has lost the ability to work with the TP2's SATA controller.

Does anyone know what the specific SATA controller model is ?

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”