Streaming video

Support for your TonidoPlug
papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Streaming video

Postby papai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Ladies and Gents,

I have a bunch of .AVI files that I thought would be a good idea to stream (on demand) from the plug. Is this possible? I currently have them in a shared folder and that does the job. I am just curious if video streaming is possible.

BTW these are a bunch of training videos.

Any ideas, quite welcomed,

ezelkow1
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Streaming video

Postby ezelkow1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:08 pm

I use mine to stream video from my networked drives attached to the plug to an xbox with xbmc on the network. They all play fine but also keep in mind these arent HD videos. I dont see why it wouldnt be fast enough for HD though.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Glad to hear that.

Quick question, are you using a samba share or the ushare streaming.

ezelkow1
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby ezelkow1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I use samba with mine. I had previously been using samba with this setup before, just always had the drives hooked up to a pc on the network instead of the plug.

papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby papai » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I created a samba share. I still have not mastered the Tonido Apps :lol:

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I was able to stream H264 HD video from my plug to xbox as well as to my Popcorn Hour NMT without any problem using ushare. I did have trouble with some of the movie formats, but it seemed to be ushare issue.

Scott R
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Scott R » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 am

I'm mainly interested in the TonidoPlug as a NAS. Currently, I have a computer on 24/7 with some of my ripped DVDs on that computer's internal hard drive, and most of my movies on an external 1TB drive connected to that computer. I currently stream to a few XBox's running XBMC, but I want to upgrade to some high-def-capable streamers, purchase an additional 1TB external drive for additional storage capacity, and I'd like to not have my computer on all the time.

Based on some threads I've read here, I'm hearing conflicting things about how "official" the multi-drive support is with the TonidoPlug. The main site's FAQ pages indicate that you can get a USB hub and connect multiple drives. A thread I read in the forums indicated that rebooting the TonidoPlug might result in the drives getting remapped as different letters (if I read that right).

rydgaze, I don't know anything about uShare. Is that something you would install on the TonidoPlug? Why is it even necessary?

Any thoughts/opinions on whether the TonidoPlug should meet my needs?

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Scott R,
We don't have lot of data points on how well a USB hub can work with TonidoPlug. I have multiple sets of plugs running at my home. In one of them I have an old USB hub and two drives connected through it to the plug. On this setup, I get the drives detected in the same order every time I reboot. In the forums, you might have seen some users reporting otherwise. I guess the answer is that it depends on the hub that you use.

For media sharing you have multiple options:
1) You can enable samba shares from the plug admin UI. XBMC on PC can read and access media from this samba share.
2) uShare is a free software that is installed in the plug by default. uShare is very light weight and doesn't use database to store any information. So the downside is that it has a longer startup time because it parses all the media info everytime it is started.uShare can stream to xbox 360 or PS3. This software can also be controlled from plug admin UI. Also one more thing to note is that the media compatibility (video files especially) with xbox might vary.

ezelkow1
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby ezelkow1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:44 pm

I have noticed a new problem with my setup. Over the weekend I had my drives disconnected. When I came back i rebooted the plug with just the rootfs drive plugged in, it booted up fine. Then i started to connect my other usb hdds, after I connected the first one I would see it come up correctly in dmesg and mount correctly, but after a few minutes it looks like the tonido would attempt to start using it as a rootfs or something because I would then lose the use of everything, it couldnt find the ls, dmesg, df, etc commands. I couldnt run any commands and no longer had anything in my fs at all and would have to reboot.

Im giving it a break right now but Ill get back to it in a few days to see if I can get it working again.

Scott R
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby Scott R » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:07 am

Tuxedo (or anyone), can you provide me with some numbers as far as throughput for reading/writing data from/to a drive connected to the TonidoPlug? I know that it has a 1 Gigabit ethernet port, and while I wouldn't necessarily expect it to reach that speed, it would be nice if it well exceeded 100 megabits.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”