Can't Eject Disk

Support for your TonidoPlug
dferrey
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Can't Eject Disk

Postby dferrey » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm

I received my TonidoPlug2 the other week and it's working fine. I understand the correct procedure to run off the plug (I want to move it) is to eject the disk before unplugging it.

I did that before but now I get the error message:

Disk eject failed ! Please check if none of the drives in this disk are in use and not shared.

I have shared file systems but the partition is not shared. I don't know how it would be in use either as I'm not using it.

What am I missing?

dferrey
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Re: Can't Eject Disk

Postby dferrey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

No responses here so since I'm not really using it yet and don't fear corruption, I just unplugged it and moved it.

This product (like the Pogoplug) will continue being a niche product for geeks as long as the support, documentation and interface are inadequate for "normal" people.

When trying to unmount I'm told to
umount: /media/disk1part1: device is busy. (In some cases useful info about processes that use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Really?

Note - if you're a geek fear not, it wasn't a slam, I used to be a geek and have a special place in my heart for that time in my life but I'm in a different place now and have no interest in SSH and command line work for tools like this.

I think this technology has a lot of potential but it's far from realized. I hope Tonido and others keep plugging away (ha) to make their products suitable for the general public.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:16 am

The eject function is using the OS's eject mechanism, most times it works, sometimes it doesn't because the OS thinks some software is using it. In those cases the only solution is to go ahead and eject it anyway.

Note that the majority of the users don't even bother to eject it first, they just unplug it and walk away.

I am sure the error message could be less geeky. We will improve that in future releases.
Thanks for your feedback.

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:35 am

You need to disable the Tonido apps that use the drive that you are trying to unmount.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”