using sata disk from usb boot

Support for your TonidoPlug
pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

using sata disk from usb boot

Postby pmcallihan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I had my plug2 for about a week. Tested the apps and had the usual problems that come with a new toy. I survived these. Plug2 did what it was supposed to do. Decided it was time to do the usb boot and install different apps that I like to use. The boot came up without problems. When I put the sata drive in the plug2 and the usb boot failed. Remove the sata and the usb boot is good. The questions:

1. What did I miss to have the usb boot not recognize the sata drive? It recognizes the wireless. Reverts to the old password. Why not see the sata? Do I need to build the boot with the sata installed?

2. Otherwise can I install the boot on the sata and have it run from the hard drive. I like this because it leave the usb for cameras, household controller and other wonderful kludges.

3. I bought the plug2 to develope software and play with ideas on a low power stand alone linux system. I hope that don't have to trash the warranty and try load my own debian squeeze? Will debian squeeze install cleanly on plug2.

You guy have a fun product. Open it up so we can hack it. You'll get better apps and we will have more fun. This thing doesn't have the horsepower to contend with raid based house nas, but it's a good idea, it's low power and portable. I can visualize all kind of neat things.

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Re: using sata disk from usb boot

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:43 pm

I've had the same experience - I can boot from the USB flash drive as long as there is no internal hard disk.

I wonder if it has to do with the boot loader pointing to sda1. When the internal SATA drive is installed, it becomes sda1 and the USB is bumped to sdb1. I'll try changing the boot order and report what happens.

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I just tried building with the sata installed. Of course the sata (/dev/sda1) is mounted on /media/disk1part1, so I built the system on disk2part1 using sdb1 on /media/disk2part1. The build went OK, but it still doesn't boot with the sata installed, it will boot of the usb. I think the usb and the sata both want disk1part1. With all the warranty warnings, I'm afraid to tinker with the boot table. Tonido please help.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:30 pm

1. What did I miss to have the usb boot not recognize the sata drive? It recognizes the wireless. Reverts to the old password. Why not see the sata? Do I need to build the boot with the sata installed?
Try to run fsck on your sata disk and then put it back into the plug. If the device has any FS errors or not unmounted properly from the previous mount, the BIOS fails to boot.

2. Otherwise can I install the boot on the sata and have it run from the hard drive. I like this because it leave the usb for cameras, household controller and other wonderful kludges.
That will be your best bet. Put the entire rootfs into SATA drive and boot from it.

3. I bought the plug2 to develope software and play with ideas on a low power stand alone linux system. I hope that don't have to trash the warranty and try load my own debian squeeze? Will debian squeeze install cleanly on plug2.
You won't trash warranty if you boot from USB or SATA. Your warranty is good as long as you dont make any modifications to the internal flash.

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks, I'm going to try to boot from the sata. That's certainly best for my interests.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

UrbanVoyeur wrote:I've had the same experience - I can boot from the USB flash drive as long as there is no internal hard disk.

I wonder if it has to do with the boot loader pointing to sda1. When the internal SATA drive is installed, it becomes sda1 and the USB is bumped to sdb1. I'll try changing the boot order and report what happens.

You are right. The boot loader always points to /dev/sda1. If you have a SATA drive, then that will be your sda1 always. Look here for more info http://www.tonido.com/support/display/docs/TonidoPlug2+-+Device+Boot+Order Your best bet is to change the boot params in the uboot settings.

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Thank you very much. Setup the boot on the sata. It's fast, sees everything, and I've got 500gb to work with. This is what I wanted.

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am

Here's what worked for me. No guarantees or responsibility for this working for you.

Hardware: TonidoPlug2
WD5000BPVT 500GB Sata 3.0Gbps Disk
No USB
Network: Wired

The wd disk was initially setup as out of the box storage on tonido system. Followed, sorta, the Tonido doc for "Booting of USB Drive".

1. ssh to to plug.
2. stopped samba with /etc/init.d/samba stop
3. located the disk mount point. for me /dev/sda1 at /media/disk2part1
4. unmount disk /media/disk2part1
5. verified disk unmounted and no additional mounts using the mount command.
6. said good to data on disk by reformat command. mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
7. remount hard at disk1part1 mount /dev/sda1 /media/disk1part1
8. changed directory to disk root. chdir /media/disk1part1
9. make sure that you are on the disk root and stay there. if you not on the disk root you could brick the Tonido where the following commands. pwd
10. get the new root file system.
wget http://www.tonido.com/downloads/plug2/rootfs.tar.gz
11. Tonido has changed the md5sum for rootfs.tar.gz. mine is:
md5sum rootfs.tar.gz
2f02407d8161acc42ccac0e6815f04c5 rootfs.tar.gz
12. expand the root file system.
tar xvfz rootfs.tar.gz
13. stop startup jobs
initctl emit tstop
14. copy tonido software to hard disk. (deference, recursive, perserve)
cp -dpr /root/ /root/app /media/disk1part1/root
15. go back to plug2 root.
cd /root
16. dismount disk
umount /media/disk1part1
17. that it folks
reboot
18. assuming you successful with new boot. check you booted on the disk.
df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 251M 0 251M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 20K 10M 1% /dev
tmpfs 251M 4.0K 251M 1% /dev/shm
rootfs 459G 5.4G 430G 2% /

So far i've install transmission, mediatomb, and webmin. haven't setup samba cleanly yet. don't expect problems. of course the all packages all have the own story.

i hope this works for you if you try it.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Will make it a sticky!

pmcallihan
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby pmcallihan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Mistake in item 14
should be
cp -dpr /root/app /media/disk1part1/root

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”