Choosing Which USB Drive Will Boot

Support for your TonidoPlug
kleinfelter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Choosing Which USB Drive Will Boot

Postby kleinfelter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I'd like to attach 2 usb drives to my TonidoPlug. One drive will contain Ubuntu, and will be the drive the TonidoPlug boots from. The other drive is a drive that other machines save backups to. I swap the backup drive weekly, storing the off-cycle drive off-site.

(I really did have a burglary once, where they took my computer and my drives, and my off-site backup saved the day.)

I've plugged in a USB hub, and attached my boot USB, and the TonidoPlug boots from it quite nicely. But when I plug in a second drive, the TonidoPlug boots from its internal flash. This happens regardless of whether there is a file system on the second USB drive, and it happens even when I swap the ports on the hub to which the drives are attached.

How can I specify which drive the TP boots from, when I have 2 drives attached to a hub?

TIA!

ezelkow1
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Re: Choosing Which USB Drive Will Boot

Postby ezelkow1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:59 pm

I have also seen this same issue on mine as well and I think I reported it back when the rootfs was first released. I have a single thumb drive I have for the tonido rootfs and then 3 usb hdds. Everytime I want to reboot the tonido I have to unplug everything and then only leave the thumb in to ensure it boots from that first, then plug in the other hdds in a specific order so they all mount to the correct places and dont get mixed up.

kleinfelter
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Re: Choosing Which USB Drive Will Boot

Postby kleinfelter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes, I agree that would work. But in the event of a power flicker, my TP will be limited to the flash boot until I can physically access it. That's no good when I'm traveling.

I tried plugging in a hub, plugging the desired USB boot drive into the hub, plugging a second hub into the first, and plugging the other USB drive into that hub, but got the same result.

If this were a PC, I'd go into the BIOS and configure the boot drive, but since there is no physical console, there is no access to any boot screens. :-(

If I can't get it to work with multiple USB drives, I may partition a big USB drive, and make part of my drive-swap procedure include dd-ing the 'system' partition from the to-be-removed drive onto the to-be-inserted drive.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”