TonidoPlug2 console access?

Support for your TonidoPlug
Materdaddy
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Re: TonidoPlug2 console access?

Postby Materdaddy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Also, the FTDI cable is popular because it goes straight from USB to TTL.

That means that instead of two adapters (one taking you from USB to RS232, and another taking RS232 to TTL), you only need one to get proper access on your tonidoplug.

Adafruit sells one I have used successfully in linux many times in the past at a reasonable price: http://adafruit.com/products/70

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Great to know. Thanks for sharing. I am sure this will help a lot of our users.

Paladine
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby Paladine » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks. I have one on order from eBay, but maybe this cable would work. Seems similar

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... inkstation

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Materdaddy wrote:Adafruit sells one I have used successfully in linux many times in the past at a reasonable price: http://adafruit.com/products/70

Thanks for the tip. This cable does work, but you need to replace the 6 pin molex with a 4 pin one.

For those who haven't done it before, it takes only few minutes with small 1-2 mm flat head screw driver. If you've bought a motherboard, pc case or CD-ROM drive, you can probably get the small molex you need from the cable set - especially the internal USB, internal audio or CD-ROM cable.

Pin out:
Red (VCC)
Orange (TX)
Yellow (RX)
Black (GND)
NC

NOTE: this is differs from the earlier poster, which had the RX and TX reversed. I've verified this order works. The cable doc is here http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... CABLES.pdf

putty settings:
Baud: 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow Control: None

expenguinbasher
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby expenguinbasher » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

I could do with a bit of help. Just took delivery of one of these ttl/serial - usb adaptors as recommended in another thread. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180836792643#ht_6563wt_1141.

It would seem that although it works, it will not co-exist with the internal sata disk, is this normal?

Seeing as I was advised it might not work with windows, the first thing I did was plug the usb into my Win7 laptop and all the drivers loaded and the device was detected as Com:5. So far, so good.

I have a second TP2 which is just for playing about with so I moved on to test it on that. I connected the ttl cables as indicated above Vcc, TX, RX, GND, but left the usb end unplugged and started my TP2. I verified I could log into it - this plug has an internal sata disk and boots from that. Once I had checked I could log in with SSH, I connected the usb end to my laptop and fired up a serial putty session. I saw a bunch of error messages along the lines of

Code: Select all

EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #2908161 offset 0
and then I found that the SSH console was returning a bash error on every command, the flashing blue light went out on the plug. The only way out was to power reset the plug. This time I left the serial / usb connected and saw the marvel boot on the console, but as can be seen from the file, it failed to boot from the disk, but instead the NAND.

I have tried this several times and with the console connected it will only boot from the nand. Am I doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

__  __                      _ _
        |  \/  | __ _ _ ____   _____| | |
        | |\/| |/ _` | '__\ \ / / _ \ | |
        | |  | | (_| | |   \ V /  __/ | |
        |_|  |_|\__,_|_|    \_/ \___|_|_|
 _   _     ____              _
| | | |   | __ )  ___   ___ | |_
| | | |___|  _ \ / _ \ / _ \| __|
| |_| |___| |_) | (_) | (_) | |_
 \___/    |____/ \___/ \___/ \__|
 ** MARVELL BOARD: DB-88F6282A-BP LE

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Sep 13 2011 - 13:25:05) Marvell version: 3.4.27
USISH-SMB Ver: topkick1281p2-001-008-20110913-codelathe

U-Boot code: 00600000 -> 0067FFF0  BSS: -> 006D0120

Soc: MV88F1155 Rev 1 (DDR2)
CPU running @ 800Mhz L2 running @ 400Mhz
SysClock = 400Mhz , TClock = 200Mhz

DRAM unknown CAL  tRP = 8 tRAS = 20 tRCD=8
DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size 512MB
DRAM Total size 512MB  16bit width
Addresses 8M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (8M - 7M): Done
NAND:512 MB
Flash:  0 kB

CPU : Marvell Feroceon (Rev 1)

Streaming disabled
Write allocate disabled

USB 0: host mode
PEX 0: interface detected no Link.
Net:   egiga0 [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3  2  1  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
Waiting for storage device(s) to settle before scanning...
0 Storage Device(s) found
** Bad partition 1 **
## Booting image at 00800000 ...
Bad Magic Number
Saving Environment to NAND...
Erasing Nand...Writing to Nand... done

Reset IDE:
Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Integrated Sata device found

** Bad partition 1 **
## Booting image at 00800000 ...
Bad Magic Number
Saving Environment to NAND...
Erasing Nand...Writing to Nand... done

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x200000, size 0x600000

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 am

It should work with the SATA and USB drives installed. Have you tried the console without the drive in place? Have you tried re-partitioning the SATA drive?

expenguinbasher
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby expenguinbasher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 am

The SATA is partitioned as default having built it using the boot from usb process. Don't really want to mess with it, as it is my dev environment. It works without the SATA, just boots from NAND, but also does with the SATA in. Just connecting the console to the USB on my laptop seems to kill the running system if it is on SATA, so I wonder if it is an issue with the adaptor. Although it was recommended in different thread. The reason being that I could get into a crashed plug to see what was going on, so the idea would be to be able to connect the adaptor to a running plug......

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:34 pm

expenguinbasher wrote:The SATA is partitioned as default having built it using the boot from usb process. Don't really want to mess with it, as it is my dev environment. It works without the SATA, just boots from NAND, but also does with the SATA in. Just connecting the console to the USB on my laptop seems to kill the running system if it is on SATA, so I wonder if it is an issue with the adaptor. Although it was recommended in different thread. The reason being that I could get into a crashed plug to see what was going on, so the idea would be to be able to connect the adaptor to a running plug......

Connecting the adapter to a running plug could shut it down. The serial cable should be connected before boot. Then you can monitor the output during the the boot process.

marioscube
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby marioscube » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 am

I agree with UrbanVoyeur.

Connecting via USB to a PC/Laptop after boot might be possible (with the serial adapter connected to the Plug).

expenguinbasher
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby expenguinbasher » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 am

What I was doing was leaving the serial adaptor connected to the plug, whilst it was running so that it was powered up etc. but when I connect the usb end it causes the crash. I can see what you mean though, but my reason for wanting to do this was from this thread, http://www.tonido.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5494 where I was directed to:
Could be some driver issue.
The right way to debug this is to connect a usb-serial cable to the plug and leave it there.
Next time it happens you can connect through the serial cable and see whats going on.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”