thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Tonido pro

Postby thedarkmist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 am

http://www.codelathe.com/blog/index.php ... lease-232/

If I understood correctly now the situation is that:
- you have to buy your own tonidoplug hardware
- install it, buy a hard disk, and worry yourself about configuration, data backup, network management, availability, and all tech issues that eventually come
- pay an annual fee of 30$ to have 50GB of sync capability

Now the convenience respect services like dropbox is not so clear for me. They have more expensive annual fees, but you don't have to buy the hardware, neither worry about reliability

Or am I missing something?
TheDarkMist

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Tonido pro

Postby madhan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:15 am

If you are synching private data that you are not comfortable putting on the cloud, Tonido Sync allows you to do that while with other services you don't have a choice.

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:13 am

If you are synching private data that you are not comfortable putting on the cloud, Tonido Sync allows you to do that while with other services you don't have a choice.

That's not right!
There is Teamdrive, where you can have your own Server, too.
And you can don't need, to buy or install the Server-Software - You can use a WebDav Server, too. But it's more expensive than Tonido.

And the Data is not really 'private' with Tonido!!! The traffic is going through their servers! SSL is not forced for that! That is not what i'm calling private. And even if ssl where forced, the traffic goes still through their servers, so you can not be sure, what they're doing with your data.
If you switch off the relay-service, SSL is getting impossible. And also i'm wondering what you're paying for, if you don't use the relay?
So i can't see anything on that what is real 'private'. There is only some Placebo-Private-Felling option with this.

RichardP
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby RichardP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:22 am

Dont confuse 'secure' with 'private'. Tonido I dont think ever marketed itself as secure. PRIVATE refers to ownership as you own the cloud hardware and it is reserved for your OWN PRIVATE USE.

Tonido pay for bandwidth,and syncing 50gb does come at a cost to tonido..

tonido4umadmin
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby tonido4umadmin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

agrajag wrote:

That's not right!
There is Teamdrive, where you can have your own Server, too.
And you can don't need, to buy or install the Server-Software - You can use a WebDav Server, too. But it's more expensive than Tonido.

And the Data is not really 'private' with Tonido!!! The traffic is going through their servers! SSL is not forced for that! That is not what i'm calling private. And even if ssl where forced, the traffic goes still through their servers, so you can not be sure, what they're doing with your data.
If you switch off the relay-service, SSL is getting impossible. And also i'm wondering what you're paying for, if you don't use the relay?
So i can't see anything on that what is real 'private'. There is only some Placebo-Private-Felling option with this.

We appreciate your feedback. Sync is totally a new feature. Here you are paying for the dead simple sync software. Yes there are many sync apps out there. We understand that.But we think Tonido is uniquely positioned among those apps by storing your data in your server than a public online server. That is the USP. This is important for lot of people out there. We are going after that market. We have plans to bring the SSL support to people who are not using relay. But it is going to take sometime.

Also, it is naive thinking that the cost of software only comes from only bandwidth and storage.Tonido provides dynamic dns, relay, support, frequent updates for the server app and mobile apps. We need resources to do that. I hope you understand our position.

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Yeah, this is a great nothing-sying answer, which has nothing to do with ma post.
You should read my post completly and try to understand it. Mybe my english is not the best, but i think most of it is clear.

But just to make it clearer:
It's nothing against to pay for s.Th. But it's the way of how to pay it.
And in all my posts i say nothing about getting anything for free!
I know that the costs are for developing, but you're not asking for mone for developing, you're asking for money for Traffic!
You should read your own Blog-Posts.
In this case you trying getting money for something, you're not selling.
You offer more Traffic, WebShare pro and DNL-Service for a yearly fee. That would be OK, for the Free-Software users, but it's not for the Plug-Users, which have allready paid for 2 of this 3 things. And your saying it is for the Traffic on your Servers, but i don't use any of your Server (Except for DynDNS). So i wondering what i'm paing for.
If you've said this is for development it would be OK (for gettig new Features or Updates).
If you want just money for the "dead simple sync software" than dead simple ask for it, instead of cheating your customers by offering them things they've allready payed for or asking for Money for Service thei're not using.

And the other thing is, taht you promise everywhere it's private, but like i said before, it's NOT realy private. Only the Storage is private. But it's useless, if anyone can sniff your PWD, because there is no SSL. And the "we're working on SSL"-Thing is good, but for now it's dead simple not available and so it's for now not private.
What comes in the Future doesn't mater.

Again for the Stupid:
It's OK to Pay for something, but make clear for what it is.
If you want money for developing, ask for it!

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”