Port Forwarding Issue: Connection Timing Out

Support for your TonidoPlug
neato
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Port Forwarding Issue: Connection Timing Out

Postby neato » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm attempting to setup up port forwarding to see if I can increase the upload speed which seems to be capped at 50kbps when using the relay service.

I have successfully forwarded port 10001 as confirmed by http://www.canyouseeme.org. However I cannot connect as the connection times out. This occurs if I use the name.tonidoid.com:10001 address or my external-IP:10001.

It is not a loopback issue since my friend is also not able to connect (connection times out) when attempting from outside my home network. I'm stuck on where to proceed from here.

My router is the 2wire 2701HG-B. I'm using the plug computer. The relay service is turned off in tonido settings but network is enabled and connection status is online. If I turn the relay service back on it connects just fine.

Thanks for your awesome support Tonido!

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Port Forwarding Issue: Connection Timing Out

Postby madhan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 am

Did your friend try using your PublicIP:10001?
If that didn't work, then the port forward is not setup properly.
Once that works, then you can check the name.

neato
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby neato » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Madhan,

I restarted both the TonidoPlug and the modem/router and it is now working!! Now to see if the download speeds are improved.

Thanks for your help.

neato
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby neato » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, it sort of works.

My friend who is local (within 10 miles although proximity should not be a factor) is able to access the TonidoPlug when port forwarded. Note also that he is using Linux. My mother, however, who is in a different state and is using Windows, is not able to access the TonidoPlug and receives the "Connection timed out" message (note that she is able to access the TonidoPlug when I enable the relay service).

Also, when attempting to access a port that is port forwarded but to a tonido profile that is not started, my local friend receives a "Connection Refused" message while my mother still gets the "Connection Timed Out" message.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

Only one account can be active at any time. So if you have A.tonidoID.com and B.tonidoID.com profiles in your devices and you logged into A, only A is available. B is not available and will be considered offline.

After portforwarding there is not much we are doing that could go wrong. So if your mother is unable to access it. Ask her to try http://PublicIP:10001 and see if that works. If that works, most likely when she uses the profile name she is using a cached DNS entry which usually clears up within a few days if you keep it port forwarded and don't keep switching between relay and PF.

neato
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby neato » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 am

Unfortunately the connection times out when using my public IP as well. My local friend is able to access it using both the xxxx.tonidoid.com:10001 and publicIP:10001 addresses.

I tried to access the offline profile to see if the error messages were the same, but my mother is not even getting the information that the offline profile is offline. She just still gets the "Connection Timed Out" message so it's like she never even actually connects to my modem in the first place. Yet her internet service works just fine.

It is very confusing. I will try to clear the cached DNS entries and see if that works for her.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm

As before, when using http://PublicIP:10001 if you can't connect then it is purely a network connectivity issue unconnected to Tonido. Tonido doesn't care if port forwarding is done or not, if the connection is made it will serve the site.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”