[Solved] request for ip address publication in web interface

Support for your TonidoPlug
sflinux
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

[Solved] request for ip address publication in web interface

Postby sflinux » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:31 am

I just bought a tonidoplug yesterday. I was under the assumption that with the myprofile.tonidoid.com, I would be able to identify the ip address of my tonido plug remotely. I used to have a webserver set up on a mac os x and used software from no-ip.org to update the route to my dynamic ip address to a domain name.
Ok with the tonidoplug I have the myprofile.tonidoid.com, but when I ping that domain, it does not give me the correct ip address of my router.
After reading the forum, it appears people use dyndns to manually update their dynamic ip address. The no-ip.org has a linux client which could be installed on the tonidoplug. This looks like a better option than dyndns, as dydns has to be manually updated as the dynamic ip address changes, whereas no-ip.org updates automatically in designated intervals.
Is it possible for the tonido team to put a place in the tonido web interface which would show the ip address of the tonidoplug?
I was expecting to find this feature when I bought my plug.
My router is old and I can not put dd-wrt on it.
Instead of upgrading my router, I bought a tonidoplug hoping to be able to identify the ip address of my home network remotely.
I would think you'd just need a button to press which would do something like whatismyipaddress.com
Last edited by sflinux on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: request for ip address publication in web interface

Postby madhan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 am

If you use our relay server, your profilename.tonidoID.com goes to our server. If you disable our relay and use port forwarding, your profilename.tonidoID.com goes to your Tonidoplug. So DynDNS type functionality is already available if you need it.Note if you dont use the relay, you need port forwarding to get remote access and you also need to add the port like http://profilename.tonidoID.com:10001

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 am

madhan wrote:... and you also need to add the port like http://profilename.tonidoID.com:10001

Or you can forward Port 80 (from your Router) to port 10001 (from TP).
Than you can access your Plug via http://profilename.tonidoID.com (without ":10001")

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:33 am

Yes, thats true.

Note that in the US, many ISPs block port 80 from being used, so if it is blocked you have to use a non-80 port.

sflinux
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Re: request for ip address publication in web interface -so

Postby sflinux » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 am

Thank you for the speedy replies. I was able to get relay working with my router. But I also discovered that my router supports ddns, which supports dyndns (and TZO), so I'm already covered, so I'll switch back to the tonido relay service, as I want ssl support. I just wanted to be able to remotely discover my dynamic ip address so I can remotely log into the tonidoplug via ssh, dyndns with my router will cover that. Problem solved. Many thanks.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”