Remove Shares on Tonido Plug

Support for your TonidoPlug
hwest
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Remove Shares on Tonido Plug

Postby hwest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:39 pm

I had a Power outage and unplugged my USB drive and then restarted Tonido. I needed to create a new Share name because the original name I created was seen as an existing name and I had to choose another. Now, I would like to get rid of this Share. I found another post in this forum which directed as follows:

1. Download Putty (I am running windows vista).

2. SSH into the plug (no problem)

3. Run the following command: # vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

I run the command but have no idea how to navigate through the file and delete the appropriate lines. I can't see any of the individual lines in the file. My mouse doesn't seem to work here.

If I run the command view /etc/samba/smb.conf I can see the entire file and search for the appropriate lines to remove but I can't edit the file.

I'm sure this is a very basic issue. I appreciate your help.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Remove Shares on Tonido Plug

Postby Tuxedo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 pm

If you scroll to the end of the file, you can lines in this format:
[MediaDisk]
comment=Maxtor HDD
path=/media/disk1part1/
These three lines define a share. You can edit it for changing details or you can remove these 3 lines completely to delete the share. You can also add three new lines in this format for a new share. After the change, you need to reload the samba daemon.

Code: Select all

# /etc/init.d/samba restart

hwest
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby hwest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:05 am

Tuxedo wrote:If you scroll to the end of the file, you can lines in this format:
[MediaDisk]
comment=Maxtor HDD
path=/media/disk1part1/
These three lines define a share. You can edit it for changing details or you can remove these 3 lines completely to delete the share. You can also add three new lines in this format for a new share. After the change, you need to reload the samba daemon.

# /etc/init.d/samba restart

The problem is I am unable to scroll down in the file or alter the text in any way.

I pressed a key on my keyboard while in the file. Now I get an error message that says found a swap file by the name "/etc/samba/.smb.conf.swp".

I am then told another program might be editing the same file and to be careful not to end up with two instances of the same file. Quit or proceed with caution. Or,

an edit session for the file crashed and I should use some kind of recover command or delete the .swp file to avoid this message. Of course, I do not know the command to delete the .swp file.

Will it harm anything to leave it there? I can see my share and files.

agrajag
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby agrajag » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:03 am

hwest wrote:
an edit session for the file crashed and I should use some kind of recover command or delete the .swp file to avoid this message. Of course, I do not know the command to delete the .swp file.

The command to delete this file is:

rm /etc/samba/.smb.conf.swp

I think your problem is you do not know, how to use vi, right?
So i think you should use "nano" for editing (it's easier to use than vi).

nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

hwest
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby hwest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

agrajag wrote:
hwest wrote:

The command to delete this file is:

rm /etc/samba/.smb.conf.swp

I think your problem is you do not know, how to use vi, right?
So i think you should use "nano" for editing (it's easier to use than vi).

nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

That is exactly the problem. I do not know any Linux commands or how to use the "vi" editor. I grew up with DOS and Windows. Guess I need to learn some basic Linux. Thank-you for your reply. I googled "nano commands". Most were on the bottom of the screen. I was able to remove the duplicate shares and restart. All is well. I appreciate your help.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”