Booting TonidoPlug using USB Drive

Support for your TonidoPlug
bradley4681
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Re: Booting TonidoPlug using USB Drive

Postby bradley4681 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm

thanks, i went back and read again. someone on page 2 post 8 is having the exact same issue. but i don't see anything about fixing it in the entire thread. so i should reword my original question instead of asking if someone else has run into this problem i should have asked has anyone fixed this problem?

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:02 am

I read about no definitive solution and have no first hand experience. But this thread (or maybe others) talks about plugging the devices into different ports of the USB hub, or using a different USB hub. One port on the hub may have higher priority than the others, or be accessed before the others.

Consider booting from your hard drive instead of the separate flash drive. And if it's a powered hard drive, plug it directly into the Tonido plug.

Please let the forum know what you do. I'm not currently booting off the USB drive; but I may in the future. Your experience may help others.

tfoutz99
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby tfoutz99 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 am

I installed arch linux on my external usb. Everything works great, it's exactly what I want in a web server.

Problem is, sometimes (most of the time), it will boot off of TonidoPlug's internal flash, rather than the USB. It seems that if I do some series of unmounting the drive, unplugging the computer for a certain period of time, not doing "shutdown now" or "reboot" etc., it will boot off of the USB. However, this is sporadic, and in no way clear.

How can I boot off of the USB reliably.

Are there any log files that could help me out with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UrbanVoyeur
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby UrbanVoyeur » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 pm

tfoutz99 wrote:I installed arch linux on my external usb. Everything works great, it's exactly what I want in a web server.

You should probably start a new thread on booting from Arch Linux, rather than bumping this very old, very long and rather outdated thread.

sophiawhite
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby sophiawhite » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 am

I have the same problem.

I have copied ARM Linux onto two different USB drives.

In both cases my Tonidoplug boots from the USB - the indicator light is is Blue and I can ping the Plug successfully. Additionally I can see the Hostname (alarm) on my routers DHCP list - so it is definitely starting up.

But I cannot get an SSH connection.

I get "Failed to connect to 192.168.2.7: Network error: Connection refused" from PuTTy and the same from FireSSH."

Not sure if there is there any way I can mount the USB after it has been "running" and check out the log files - or if there is way to look at the relevant files to confirm that ssh is genuinely being started.

Any help much appreciated

Rusty
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 am

Have a look at
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic ... =20#p28597
That got my TonidoPlug v1 to respond to ssh (with putty.exe on Windows).

Also look at the last post on that page
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic ... =20#p29566

Andrewmi
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Booting TonidoPlug using USB Drive

Postby Andrewmi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:00 am

Yes, thats right. Im trying to boot from a 1GB USB flash drive.

Maybe I should reboot the whole machine and just try it all again.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”