Webshare not working from remote

Support for your TonidoPlug
thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Webshare not working from remote

Postby thedarkmist » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Brand new tonido.
From remote, if I try to share a folder with 200 images, the pre-cache process is horribly slow (about 1 pic every 30 sec).
From webshare pro, if I click on "view share" nothing happens. Even in other shared folders. I'm using Chrome.
TheDarkMist

devbloke
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Webshare not working from remote

Postby devbloke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Unfortunately, depending on the file size, the caching process can be slow. My thought would be that you are not able to access while caching is going on.

Do you see any issue when you share smaller set of files? Say 10?

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 am

Unfortunately it's so slow that in fact, it results in a non-functionant feature!
TheDarkMist

dongadoy
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby dongadoy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 am

The Webshare photo gallery is really only useful for small groups of photos, probably for sharing with others temporarily. The caching performance doesn't work well for even small photo collections, and it doesn't display or search metadata like captions, keywords, and descriptions.

Best thing to do is generate the small size copies of photos on a computer with a lot more image processing power than the plug.

The Webshare photo gallery will work better with the web-friendly copies of photos (~640x480). But users will not be able to download full size copies of the photos.

Another option is to generate your own photo gallery web page. Generate thumbnail and web-friendly copies on your computer and move them all to the plug. The only way that will work for me is if it's automated, and I haven't gotten around to scripting it.

With the new Tonido PHP support, more options have opened up. I bet there are photo galleries others have written for PHP. I plan on looking around for something in the coming months. Since it will be running on the plug, it will still suffer from excruciatingly slow image manipulation; but maybe it will work automatically in the background.

thedarkmist
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby thedarkmist » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 am

I understand that the bigger part of you, tonido users, are developers with time to dedicate exploring technologies and plaiyng with that. But I'm a user. A power user, of course, but with no time to dedicate to make things work. I only want TO USE them, and I'm expecting that if I buy something, built for a scope (creating a personal cloud), it works out of the box.
TheDarkMist

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”