Can't sudo as non-root user

Support for your TonidoPlug
mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Re: Can't sudo as non-root user

Postby mikestaszel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Alexv, regular "adduser" works for me just fine and I didn't experience any issues running things not as root.

biomesh
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby biomesh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:15 am

I have a plug that just arrived last week and I cannot su, ssh, or even use the login command to gain access to the plug with non-root users.

AFAIK permissions have been double checked, passwords are set, etc. I am using the plug for samba user shares with no problems.

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

@biomesh: what error are you getting when you login as non-root user?
What SSH client are you using?

Tonidoplug OS doesn't have any restriction on the users who can login into tonidoplug. TCPKeepAlive is also set. So there shouldn't be any disconnects from the SSH server.

Also let us know the command you used to create the guest user.

biomesh
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby biomesh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

I just try to login, and the session is closed, no errors. I have tried different shells, turning pam off for ssh, etc.

I have used openssh client from another linux box, logging in from the plug to itself, and from putty with all of the same results.

I am just using 'adduser newuser' and have even used useradd to see if there is a difference (there is not).

Here is the output from an attempt:

ssh testuser@192.168.1.100
testuser@192.168.1.100's password:
Last login: Tue Apr 20 16:16:40 2010 from 192.168.1.20
Connection to 192.168.1.100 closed.

I don't think it is an ssh issue, as su, sudo, and even login does not work for non-root users.

mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby mikestaszel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Let me see if I can help...

1. SSH in as root user works correctly, right? Try running "apt-get remove openssh" and then "apt-get install openssh", then retry connecting.

2. You did make a password for the new user, right? SSH needs one. You probably did though...

3. Can you SSH in as root and PM me the contents of your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file? There might be something in there about allowed users or something.

biomesh
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby biomesh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 am

The problem has nothing to do with ssh, as I cannot even su, sudo, or even use the login command to login as a non-root user.

As for passwords, I have tried simple and complex passwords, both with the same result.

alexv
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby alexv » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:00 am

has anybody had any luck resolving this?

this kind of problem is usually a permission problem - some file or directory required for logging in is not readable by the user. i've been going through some of the directories and quite a few are owned by non-existent users.

on a related note, maybe i'm being paranoid but i find it incredible that codelathe expects everyone to run the tonidoplug solely as root. it doesn't really inspire confidence in the tonidoplug's security

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby Tuxedo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:29 am

Tonido can run as a non-root user on any linux platforms except it has to be as root user on plug. This is because it has "Plugadmin" which is not there in any other platforms. Plugadmin has to manage lot of OS related activities, which needs root access.

This problem with unable to login as non-root user couldn't be reproduced here and not all the users are having this problem. If we can get access to a plug with this problem then we can look more into it.

alexv
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby alexv » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 pm

@tuxedo - i'm in the dfw area also, send me a private email to arrange to meet somewhere mutually convenient

akabearisaac
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby akabearisaac » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Anyone had luck logging in as non-root? I am having the same problem. Any help please.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”