Can't sudo as non-root user

Support for your TonidoPlug
aleinss
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Can't sudo as non-root user

Postby aleinss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I've been banging my head against the wall on this one.

I just got Tonidoplug 2 days ago. I can ssh as root into the plug and run commands. However, if I attempt to ssh as a non-root user, I just get the MOTD and the connection closes right away. If I try sudo -u nonadminuser <command>, the process is immediately killed. I've looked at all the logs in /var/logs and nothing is popping out at me. Any ideas?

Tuxedo
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Can't sudo as non-root user

Postby Tuxedo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

you can try this

Code: Select all

# su - <non-admin-user> -c "command"

aleinss
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby aleinss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 pm

No joy. I think I might attempt to re-flash this unit back to defaults this weekend. All I've done really is loaded irssi with apt-get and set a static IP on the unit: that's it. Am I the only one that can't sudo?

mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby mikestaszel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Can you log in as regular root at all, using su or SSHing in as root? Is your use in the admin (or is it wheel on Ubuntu?) group? Use visudo as root to find out the name of the group the user should be in and maybe then try adding the user to that group again using "sudo adduser <username> <groupname>"

aleinss
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby aleinss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:09 am

I ended up re-flashing it back to factory defaults, then logging in via SSH as root and did adduser. I then attempted to sudo and login as that user: same results. I found something called "plug linux" at plugapps.com. It allows you to build a linux distro onto a USB stick. I did this and booted my Tonidoplug from the stick and guess what? Works perfect! Some bad mojo is in the Ubuntu distro that comes with the Tonidoplug.

alexv
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby alexv » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 pm

I've been scratching my head about this problem for a day now till I ran across this thread. Has it always been like this or is this something recently introduced?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:11 pm

We have never tried till now.. or atleast I haven't. So really can't tell.

mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby mikestaszel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Lol, Plugbox Linux. That's me! :P

aleinss
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby aleinss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 am

@mike: I did not realize you were with Plugbox Linux, but now that I do: thank you for a great product. ;)

@tonido staff: For full disclosure: I really bought the Tonidoplug to replace my Linux shell that I pay monthly for. I've been using Unix type shells since 1994 just for simple stuff like IRC, text editing, e-mail, etc. Since all my computers are in my room, I can't run a PC with a noisy fan, plus it would generate too much heat/electric usage. I use Money Manager Ex to track my income/expense and saw the advertisement for Tonidoplug and thought it was a cool little device.

When I ran irssi as root and tried to connect to a server, I was immediately banned for running it as root, thus the need to not run as root. I think there could be a market for a "Shellplug"...throw some cool stuff on it like BitchX and X11 for Linux geeks pre-configured.

alexv
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby alexv » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am

is anyone working on this issue? i'm not comfortable running everything as root.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”