Updating & Upgrading Now...

Support for your TonidoPlug
ZEDenterprizes
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Updating & Upgrading Now...

Postby ZEDenterprizes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm a n00b still. What I really want is a nice little personal cloud server that does the trick with little or no support or maintenance from me. That's why I bought a TonidoPlug 2 in the first place.

Having said that, I notice that it's been quite a long time since any updates have come out for the TP2. It is still running Debian Squeeze, and I haven't seen an update for months—if not more than a year!

So, here is my question: If TP2 is not being maintained/updated/upgraded anymore, what should I do? Should I try to somehow upgrade the Kernel (as someone put in a post not too long ago)? If I do, I'm afraid I'm going to break it—I don't have a super-duper record with making linux work unless I have pretty explicit instructions for getting it working. Should I just leave it be? If I do that then I'm afraid that it'll become more and more insecure. Should I try to somehow get some solution that is still being updated like "ownCloud"? If I should, how do I do that!?!— again, explicit-instructions-needed-guy here.

Help me out, please folks

I'd be content with leaving well-enough-alone, except for the security concerns, and for the fact that I feel like my TP2 isn't very stable currently. I'm trying to run it with a 3TB MyBook attached, but it never finishes indexing or transcoding the media before it crashes, I can't seem to get my WebDAV access to the TP2 to work consistently on my MacBook or other computers, there doesn't seem to be any easy solution to having the TP2 act as a TimeCapsule, nor is there one for easily and reliably making it a iTunes server at home. And the app for my iPad and iPhone hasn't been updated in almost 2 years!

What to do?!? Your best advice, please.

marioscube
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Re: Updating & Upgrading Now...

Postby marioscube » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:00 pm

The Tonidoplug2 is (imho) End Of Life. No updates for Debian Squeeze (is officially EOL), no updates to the Tonido software, no updates to the client software in a long time. Codelathe/Tonido moved on into the cloud.

Your Tonidoplug2 is (I think) more than 4 years old now, time to move on.

At the moment I have no knowledge of good replacements for the Tonidoplug2.

A Raspberry Pi 3 is nice but has no Gigabit ethernet, so to slow (for me) to serve as a NAS.

So, buy a real NAS, either Synology or QNAP and use your ageing Tonidoplug2 for some tinkering or pet projects.

That's what I did. ;)

dglp
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby dglp » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:37 pm

marioscube wrote:So, buy a real NAS, either Synology or QNAP

Do either of these support remote web access?

Aside from that, nice summary of whre Tonido is at.
Sad that it stopped doing hardware.

marioscube
Guru Tonidoid
Guru Tonidoid

Postby marioscube » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 pm

dglp wrote:Do either of these support remote web access?

Both have their own implementation of "remote web access".
Have a look at their websites to see if it suits your need.

Return to “TonidoPlug Support”