Open Source?

Questions related to developing on the Tonido Platform
madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Open Source?

Postby madhan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm

At this point we are open sourcing the platform (which means the SDK) to gauge developer interest and to jump start new apps.
But if we see sufficient interest we are open to the idea of opening up our apps as well in the future.

We would love to get your feedback or comments if you have any.
If you are a developer, what can we do to make you interested in building apps for this platform?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We will definitely consider it. We are no strangers to open sourcing apps, you could see all the apps we have ever developed are open sourced in one form or another. See http://www.codelathe.com

As far as Tonido is concerned, these are early days and we basically want feedback like yours before figuring out what we are going to do.

As for making it easier for development, being able to write PHP rather than C++ would be nice.

Agreed. We have basic PHP CGI working, but there there 2 things that are clunky with it. It is another 5 to 6 MB download and sometimes a bit flaky.
We are trying to see if we can have PHP interpreter embedded within Tonido; so we can avoid CGI.

Just as a note, we have full LUA support, so you could write apps using LUA. But it is nearly not as flexible as PHP.

mikestaszel
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby mikestaszel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

I don't have a TonidoPlug yet but I'm pretty sure apps could make use of Python, Ruby, and other dependencies - the 'plug runs Ubuntu. The thing is, CodeLathe needs to make it all work. :)

Edit: But apparently installing outside Linux apps (such as from Ubuntu repos) will void your warranty.

dcarrera
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby dcarrera » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Bugydude wrote:Besides PHP, other scripting languages such as python and ruby would be nice to have.

Snag is, each of those things increases the Tonido download size. Popular server side languages include PHP, Perl, Python and Ruby. You can make a case for any of these, but clearly you cannot include all. I am actually willing to learn Lua in order to experiment with Tonido. But sadly I haven't found a lot of information on how to make a Tonido app with Lua.

Return to “Tonido Platform Development”