Home Page

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Home Page

Postby papai » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:57 pm

While awaiting for the arrival of my Plug, I am playing with some local Tonido installs and learning about it. One thing that I would like to change is the following.

Once I have a profile running I would like to display a Home Page on web access, not the login page as default. In this home page there could be one or two logins, one for admin (could be a separate page accesible thru a link or not shown at all) and a login for the users I have in my groups (account and password boxes).

My users once authenticated could be presented a list of options they can go to.

Moms, grandmas, aunts and uncles who are not computer-saavy would be taken back by the current (admin) login prompt. I know that you send them the complete URL but do you imagine them retaining all those emails with long URLs and remembering what they are for? It won't happen, but a single Favorite in their Web Browser is easier to store and of course remember. from there they would be computer assisted with this menu.

This menu options would be more user friendly.

I hope I have explained what I am after.

Thanks,

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Home Page

Postby madhan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Yes, thanks for your input. We will consider it as an enhancement for the future.

papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby papai » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:43 am

Hi,

That is kind of you to consider it for future implementation but I would like to do that on my own. Maybe I should have posted this somewhere else. My question is more, where is this default URL stored and can I change it so I can [quote][/unquote] do my interface myself. Maybe I have to wait for the SDK to be available, to handle user account database, authentication and so forth. Or is it available already? :-)

I am just excited about this device and have interesting plans for it. Any ideas? Anyone?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:03 am

You can read more about how Tonido URLs work and how they are processed in the developer guide available at
http://www.tonido.com/developer/sdk/doc ... 0Guide.pdf

Also, most of the functionality is exposed via HTTP REST calls that return XML. So you could create a new plugin that calls these other HTTP calls to construct an UI that you want via Javascript.

papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby papai » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 am

Wow, that was fast. I will take a look and start playing with it.

I need to determine what I will do on the client side and what I will be doing on the server side.

BTW, while not that experienced with LUA, I have done just a couple of 'hello-like' programs I feel comfortable scripting the server side. My question is, is there any documentation on the LUA implementation of the server-side SDK?

If Python was available it would be a different story as that is my favorite scripting language. But as I said I am willing to give LUA a try if I need to do anything on the server side.

Any suggestions?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 am

Although LUA is available, we haven't used it that much. We are hoping with the SDK release to flesh it out a bit. However, if you know Python, you could write the server side directly in C++.

papai
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Postby papai » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:56 am

C++? Oh yeah! :lol:

My programming days are over. I have not written a C line of code in about 10 years. And C++ never. :roll:

Scripting is a different story, you write, test, rewrite, test, more rewrite, test, still more rewrite, test. No compile time. It is just fun as you approach the end result!

Anyway, any time line for the LUA/SDK? Python/SDK? (just pushing it) 8-)

I realize you guys have plenty of work ahead of you, but throw the developers something, even the weekend developers like me. :mrgreen:

Return to “Tonido Software”