Difficulty with large files

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Difficulty with large files

Postby kbaum » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:32 am

Is there any reason why Backup seems to work great with single document files or small folders, but when I attempt backup of larger files or folders, it fails? Furthermore, after it fails on a large file, I often cannot get it to backup a small file any more. I'm backing up from a PC at work to a Tonidoplug at home. The plug has a 1TB USB drive attached. I can see successfully backed up small files on the USB both before and after backup failure using Explorer. When the large file backup fails, I sometimes must restart the plug, or power it down before I can get any backups to work again.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Re: Difficulty with large files

Postby rydgaze » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 am

Yes. We have seen this behavior under certain network condition (Where it tries to send data and starts to time out and prevents subsequent file transfer).

The entire transfer mechanism has been rewritten to prevent this and few other connection related issues. The fix will be available within couple of weeks with the new release. It is currently under test.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:13 am

Just out of curiosity, how large are the files you are trying to transfer?

kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kbaum » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:53 am

The size file that has caused the problem so far is about 2.5 gb. However, I'd like to be able backup folders with about 5.0 gb at a time.
Glad to know there's a fix in the works. Any suggestion on the best action to "reset" the plug or Backup program if a failed backup prevents subsequent file transfer?

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 pm

The best option would be to restart Tonido itself. With the new change, the size of the file will not matter.

kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kbaum » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks! I will watch for the update.

kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kbaum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 pm

So the most recent Tonido update seemed to include an update to Backup that has helped my situation, but I am still not able to get it to work with the degree of reliability that I need. Two issues I have...1) When trying to backup folders of 1G or more I often get the message "disconnected! Backup of record (xx) interrupted." Backup eventually tries again, and sometimes it is able to complete the job after 3 or 4 attempts, sometimes not. 2)I setup a periodic backup to run over night and when I check the following morning, it hasn't run, and the time for which I requested the job has been changed to 00:00.
I noticed there is a post that asks for suggestions for Backup improvements with the explanation a sizable upgrade is in the works. I wonder if these issues are known, or if they are related to something I'm doing wrong.

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi,

The "backup interrupted" occurs when there is HTTP call timeouts (which are quite normal and retry is done for that automatically) and backup is supposed to reconnect and start. The primary reason for focusing on backup for this release is to address some of the issues you have listed.

Basically, the current backup version does checksums for chunks to determine what to send and what not to send. For very large files, this takes a while (which is why you see that backup is still taking its own time after reconnects). With the new planned changes, this will be taken care of and the resume will be fast.

So, yes, the issues you have listed will definitely be addressed with the backup update.

kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kbaum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks. I will watch for update.

kbaum
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby kbaum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

I've been using Backup since the first posting on this thread and have updated with each new release, but I still have the same problem with files larger than 1 Gig. "username@tonido.com disconnected! Backup of record interrupted." This occurs about 16 times, then on the 17th try the backup finally completes successfully. I am using periodic backup for this routine, and have scheduled it to run in the middle of the night when there's no activity on either the source computer, or the tonido plug. Is this still a known issue that is being worked on?

Return to “Tonido Software”