Relay Service Without Port Forwarding?

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
Scott
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Relay Service Without Port Forwarding?

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Hello,

I've been thinking of getting my own domain name and DDNS service to access the Tonido instances on my network externally. I don't have much experience in the way of computer networking, but I understand this would involve port forwarding, etc.

Being the curious person that I am I asked the question how does the Tonido Relay Service accomplish this connection without setting up port forwarding on my router for port 10001, and how does it manage to navigate to different Tonido instances on the same LAN (I have a TonidoPlug v1 and Tonido Desktop on my laptop) when they have the same port? After several days of searching I can't figure it out.

I'm assuming the process works something like this:
-External device goes to http://myid.tonidoid.com which sends a request to the tonido relay server.
-The relay server redirects the request to my router/modem which ip it gets from the tonido DDNS.
-Something in the request that goes to my router/modem includes destination information as to exactly which device in the LAN it needs to communicate with.

What information is the relay service using that has my router direct it to the right device? It has to be something other than a port number because as already mentioned I have Tonido instances on multiple devices in the LAN using the same 10001 port number and the relay service can find each one with no problem.

Is this something I could recreate in a web browser (e.g. MyExternalIP:<some identifier>:Port)?

Scott

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Relay Service Without Port Forwarding?

Postby madhan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Return to “Tonido Software”