Suggestions for Tonido on the TonidoPlug and more

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Suggestions for Tonido on the TonidoPlug and more

Postby 3wheels1life » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Hello,
I have some suggestions for both the Tonido website, new software, and the Tonido software that runs on the TonidoPlug. It's a big list, so here goes. I hope it helps! :P

Website and Store suggestions:
1. Hardware compatibility list for the TonidoPlug (user-submitted and by Codelathe). Consumers will be able to let others know what works and what doesn't. This would help when purchasing hardware such as USB and SATA drives. Should allow for input of Tonido software version number, TonidoPlug model (original or 2) and any other notes.
2. Accept Bitcoins for Tonido Pro and Biz upgrades.

New Software Ideas:
1. Mozilla Thunderbird add-on to add link to file hosted on any Tonido device in place of attachments or when attachment limit exceeded.
2. GMail/FireFox/Chrome extension to replace Google Drive when sharing big files over the attachment limit.

TonidoPlug software suggestions:
1. Compress to other archiving formats (GPL/open source formats)
2. SMART drive status updates (for all supported, attached drives) via e-mail to specified address or the address used to setup Tonido.
3. Encrypt files stored on attached disks (User could select algorithm such as AES-256, Blowfish, another open source algorithm, etc. This should be able to encrypt specific files/folders or the whole drive.)
4. Limit CPU and bandwidth usage (upstream/downstream) for TonidoPlug, with optional scheduler to prevent overloading either the network or the plug itself.
5. Block indexing by search engines and "robots" in Tonido Biz upgrade for own domain (not sure if this is already implemented).
6. Sync with Eye.Fi devices for photo upload.
7. Add podcast auto-downloader with scheduler and selected disk.
8. Encrypt archives (for compressing files).
9. Run backup server such as rsync.
10. Support Dynamic DNS other than the Tonido Relay Service.
11. Offer shorter URL for public shares (could be random, similar service to t.co, bit.ly, etc.)
12. Optionally share files as trackerless .torrents (create torrent instead of .zip and autoload in Tonido Torrent)
13. FTP server

I hope some of these get included into a future release. Some are available as separate software, but a web GUI like the current one would be a great way for the average user to access them without having to boot from USB.

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Suggestions for Tonido on the TonidoPlug and more

Postby madhan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for the feature list. We will consider this feedback for future releases.
Btw, we do have a community maintained website at http://www.tonido.com/communitywiki/dok ... dusbdrives

which does have a user submitted list of drives.

3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby 3wheels1life » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks madhan,

I have one more suggestion: Add TonidoID.com to the HTTPS Everywhere supported sites list so browsers running the HTTPS Everywhere add-on will automatically encrypt connections to devices running Tonido. This will be more secure and will make it so users don't have to type https:// at the beginning of their unique URL.

Also, does TonidoID support HSTS?

HTTPS Everywhere site:
https://eff.org/https-everywhere

Have a good day.

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, no Tonido doesn't support HSTS, but we will look into that.

3wheels1life
Veteran Tonidoid
Veteran Tonidoid

Postby 3wheels1life » Sun May 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello,

I also realized the TonidoPlug2's built-in SATA connection doesn't support SMART monitoring for hard drives.
I know this because I could successfully monitor my hard drive from a standard computer with the drive installed in a SMART-supported USB enclosure. Perhaps SMART could be integrated into a future build (?) of the software or a new model of TonidoPlug(?)

Regards,

-3wheels1life

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 am

thanks for the note and the feedback.

Return to “Tonido Software”