Firefox Add-ons... current status?

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
zarmanto
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Firefox Add-ons... current status?

Postby zarmanto » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am

I'm just starting out with Tonido, and I've been trying to learn as much as I can about how it works and what I can do with it out-of-the-box. (I'm also considering whether or not I want to develop one or two small apps for Tonido, myself.)

In researching the available options, I happened to notice that the Tonido Thots app page seems to have a reference to the "ClipThots" Firefox add-on -- which apparently no longer exists, as the link to the add-on page yields a page on mozilla.org which says only "This add-on has been disabled by an administrator."

I did a little more digging, and found references to the TonidoFox add-on, which does exist in the add-ons library. However, on the TonidoFox add-on details page, the "homepage" link yields a 404 error on tonido.com. I installed it anyway, just to see if I could figure out how to use it without documentation, and while it was not difficult to understand, I was actually somewhat disappointed to discover that the add-on is really nothing more than a short list of bookmarks to sections of my Tonido site -- and some of those bookmarks (Explorer, Media Server, and Sync) appear to be broken links, presumably because of extensive changes to the current release of Tonido.

So to start with, I would suggest that an admin probably needs to do a little bit of cleanup of the various broken links that I've found... but are there any plans to enhance this offering, or is it really just a legacy tool which is no longer maintained?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: Firefox Add-ons... current status?

Postby madhan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

We originally wrote 3 firefox addons.
1. Tonido - Which is a quick link to your various tonido apps
2. Thots - Which is a bookmarking and web note taking applet, ie right click on some text and post that to thots app.
3. Torrent - Which will allow you to right click on a torrent link and make it download from tonido

The problem was that firefox changed their APIs that made those addons not work anymore. The team didn't have enough bandwidth to update it and those were never updated.

So that is the current state, if there are bad links, please point them out and we will remove them or fix them.

If you are interested in developing any firefox addons, we would be more than happy to turn over all the addon code we have so you could take it up.

zarmanto
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby zarmanto » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 am

Got it. Understaffed and overworked... I can related to that all too well.

madhan wrote:We originally wrote 3 firefox addons.
So that is the current state, if there are bad links, please point them out and we will remove them or fix them.

The links in question are all detailed in the URL tags in my previous post, but I'm happy to give you more details, if it will help:

http://www.tonido.com/app_thots_home.html - ClipThots is described near the bottom of the page. Personally, I would just comment out that entire block until a replacement is available.

http://www.tonido.com/tonidofox.html - This page simply doesn't exist; the reference which should probably be removed is in the mozilla.org add-ons page for TonidoFox, but I don't know how to give you a link to that page, since it's pulled up within Firefox sans URL bar.

The other broken links that I mentioned are built into the TonidoFox plugin itself.

madhan wrote:If you are interested in developing any firefox addons, we would be more than happy to turn over all the addon code we have so you could take it up.

I greatly appreciate your welcoming offer of code, but I hadn't yet specifically considered creating Firefox add-ons, per se... those observations were more just a result of me trying to find out what all you've already accomplished, before I venture out on creating something that ends up overlapping existing tools.

Actually, what started this process was the notion of building my own iGoogle replacement on top of Tonido. With iGoogle being retired later this year, replacing it has been on my mind lately. I've seen other replacement efforts out there, but Tonido has a number of appealing attributes that make me think it might turn out to be more ideal for my purposes.

For what I want, I'd need to start out with a "landing page" which can serve as my go-to home page in all of my web browsers; basically all it would need to do is host small sections of content, in the same fashion as the iGoogle "gadgets". Than I would need to build the different content sections themselves, and editor/configuration interfaces for each of those sections. I'm thinking that the minimum for my needs would be a traditional bookmarking tool and an RSS feed reader -- but if you guys like my ideas and decide to roll them into your distributed codeset, I could easily see other users wanting additional gadget substitutes, such as an e-mail gadget, a weather gadget, a notepad (Thots?) gadget... that's just a few things off the top of my head.

Thoughts?

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:11 am

Thanks for the feedback and the detailed links. We will work on them.

Interesting idea about a iGoogle replacement. Sure, you are welcome to write addons and it can be distributed to the community if you need through our app distribution setup or out of band as well.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks the thots page has been fixed.

zarmanto
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby zarmanto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

madhan wrote:Interesting idea about a iGoogle replacement. Sure, you are welcome to write addons and it can be distributed to the community if you need through our app distribution setup or out of band as well.

Good to hear. I found the API Reference on the Developers page, and I'll be poring through it some more when I get home this evening. For now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go into "child-with-a-new-toy-how-does-it-work" mode...

* How does your app distribution setup work?
* Are there very many third-party apps/add-ons available presently?
* What kind of licenses do your third-party developers generally use for their distributed apps?
* Do you have any working sample apps/add-ons that I could use as learning tools?
* Do you have any guidelines or have-to-knows, outside of what's in the Developers page?

As an aside: I just realized that there is a "Tonido Platform Development" section in this forum. Perhaps I should have started this discussion over there... :geek:

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:04 pm

* How does your app distribution setup work?

Similar to the app store, you upload the app to our distribution system and it is listed in the available applications that you can install.

* Are there very many third-party apps/add-ons available presently?

There are about 3 or 4.

* What kind of licenses do your third-party developers generally use for their distributed apps?

Up to you. Just can't be GPL.

* Do you have any working sample apps/add-ons that I could use as learning tools?

All the thirdparty addon code is open, you can check it out.

* Do you have any guidelines or have-to-knows, outside of what's in the Developers page?

Not currently, but dissecting an existing app is the best way to see what can be done.

zarmanto
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby zarmanto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 pm

madhan wrote:Similar to the app store, you upload the app to our distribution system and it is listed in the available applications that you can install.

Well, I found a few things in the community wiki at http://www.tonido.com/communitywiki/dok ... _available -- but I haven't yet been able to coax any of them to work. (Also, I seem to have found what appears to be another broken link on that page, to the download page for the pmWiki plugin.)

Is it likely that these apps are simply not compatible with the Mac OS X implementation of the Tonido app? If not that, then am I even looking at the correct list of apps?

zarmanto
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby zarmanto » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am

Okay... so I've read through some of the older topics which appear to suggest that there might still be a lack of PHP support in the Mac and Linux versions of Tonido, and those messages together with your lack of response after I mentioned my platform leads me to wonder if perhaps Mac/Linux support is a bit of a sore spot for you. Mind you, I'm not criticizing... just trying to understand.

I've been fiddling with some settings to see if I could get it to work on my own; I tried just enabling PHP in Apache on my machine, and while that appears to work fine from the default website, it didn't help with the Tonido add-ons. I scanned through the contents of the Tonido application package, but I haven't yet found references to enabling PHP... which I suppose means either I'm missing something, or you guys will need to do something to a binary or to a settings file in a zip before PHP will work.

I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.8.4, which comes with Apache 2.2.22 and PHP 5.3.15, and I'm not afraid to fiddle in the Terminal. Does Tonido require a more recent version of Apache and/or PHP? Do you need a Mac geek to help you debug?

I'm offering to help in any way that I can. Just let me know.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:43 am

You are right, there is no PHP scripting support on Mac (yet) for Tonido.
We added it in Windows, Linux and the TonidoPlug.
If you want to develop on the Mac, it would need some work from side to get PHP baked in, which would take some time because of the current projects that we are working on.

Return to “Tonido Software”