SSL and Proxy Server Support

Support for Tonido on the Desktop including Windows/Mac/Linux
petert
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

SSL and Proxy Server Support

Postby petert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:41 am

Hi,

Just installed Tonido and like it very much. Very slick interface and easy-to-use for a start. Also, lots of remote functionality that almost does everything you would need to do remotely. I have been waiting for a solution such as this for a long time now. The biggest problem has been finding a solution that a) works seamlessly through even the most locked down corporate firewall and b) requires only a browser without the need for the installation of any other software (generally not possible on locked-down corporate PCs).

However, there are a couple of major pieces of networking functionality that if included I feel would make this an ideal, all-round solution to accessing one's home network almost as if you were sitting in your favourite lounge chair.

I did see a forum comment that SSL support is coming. I see this as absolutely essential if people are going to be shipping their private files all over the place especially via potentially-monitored corporate networks. Most corporate firewalls will allow outgoing SSL on port 443 so it should not be a problem on that front. By the way, what does it mean by "encrypted data transfer" on your Features page?

The other networking feature I see as being essential is proxy server support. This could then allow a Tonido user behind a corporate firewall to connect via secure SSL to their home PC and access their home Internet connection. This would then prevent an employer from viewing any personal information sent whilst browsing the Internet at work. OK, this brings up several other non-technical issues and I just have to say that I am not promoting for a moment that people should then use such a solution to slack off at work browsing anonymously all day long or accessing illicit material of any kind. However, subject to the bounds of one's employment contract, the right to privacy over one's personal information should still be the paramount consideration.

A couple of other feature upgrades I would recommend:

- Generation and display of thumbnail images when viewing photo folders (download size issues)
- Support for other streaming media e.g. live TV (not just viewing recorded files)

Anyway, top marks for a very promising application that I feel has great potential.

Peter

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Re: SSL and Proxy Server Support

Postby madhan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the great feedback Peter.

I did see a forum comment that SSL support is coming. I see this as absolutely essential if people are going to be shipping their private files all over the place especially via potentially-monitored corporate networks.

Yes, this is in the works.

By the way, what does it mean by "encrypted data transfer" on your Features page?

When you connect to one Tonido from another Tonido, that is encrypted. Not the HTTP connection.

The other networking feature I see as being essential is proxy server support.

Yes, I agree that this is a neat idea. I would love to browse using my home internet connection sometimes. We will take a look at it. Probably once our SDK is out, I am sure someone will beat us to this.

- Generation and display of thumbnail images when viewing photo folders (download size issues)

Which application are you talking about? Webshare already has this. It generates a thumbnail of the image automatically.
The trick is to do it before you share it, it takes a bit of time initially, but then it rendering the pages is real fast.
webshare_gallery.png
webshare_gallery.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 7748 times

- Support for other streaming media e.g. live TV (not just viewing recorded files)

Ok, this is a bit tougher. So I really can't see it happening shortly. But maybe again this is something thirdparties can do easily.

Thanks once again!

rydgaze
Tonido Team
Tonido Team

Postby rydgaze » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Regarding "Proxy server support" , there is a post in our blog that addresses this for a specific setup :)

http://www.codelathe.com/blog/index.php ... e-network/

thedoctor
Rookie Tonidoid
Rookie Tonidoid

Postby thedoctor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 am

Hello -

I'd like to add to the SSL request by having the ability to specify a host path to my existing certs/pems.

Thank you,
-- The Doctor

Return to “Tonido Software”